Rip John Humphreys

bugger liked the old boy ,spoke his mind even if it pee'd a few folk off a real fen tiger ,will be missed i'm sure .

Last edited:
Bummer,RIP John,I've enjoyed his writing since i was knee high to a banjo,didn't always agree with everything he wrote but he had the courage of his convictions and gave his view of things
RIP

A very dignified man in dealing with his illness and would not let it better him while working to the end RIP

Very sad I was just reading this weeks shooting times,and had read his last country gun as I have just found out when I logged on to stalking directory loved his stories rip

What a shame - I think all the original writers from when I somehow got hold of a copy of the "Shooting Times" - as a youngster in about 1977 (7 years old) have gone now - Petral, BB, Geoffory Boothroyd, Colin Wilcox, Jack Ivester Lloyd, Whiteface, Chris Craddock, Arthur Ogilsby, Hugh Falkus, Arthur Cadman, Archie Coats, Rusticus - all spring too mind. I still have those very first copies I read and in a small but important way they changed my life a little.
I remember him best for his interviews with the last of the old fen gunners.

Last edited:
John wrote a really good article not many years ago about the quandary of whether to have another dog after losing a faithful old one. If anyone is compiling some of his writings then that should be in it, it was a real spirit raiser.
He was that rare man, universally liked or at least respected.

fraser

passed away

Very sad,the end of an era really,John was a countryman to the core,the shooting world is poorer without him,I met him about 6 years ago at a wildfowling club meeting where he was guest speaker,we aranged to go for a beer at that years game fair but sadly due to other comittments I never made it,I must admit I harboured a desire to shoot with him,but sadly now that will never be R.I.P John.

rest in peace john , at least he will be with another good friend of his hugh peacock who was another great countryman who died of cancer last year ,who although disabled never let it stop him enjoying shooting stalking and fishing of his modified atv,the world will be a poorer place without him.

I had the great pleasure of knowing John personally, he was deputy head at the secondry school l attended a very good teacher one of the old school teachers no nonsence approach very much respected, l have shot with John on his beloved fenland shoot where l had the good fortune to be his keeper for a few years, many times l invited him stalking but he would say l wont to feel as if l had ernt the right to shoot a beast by being guided onto it, he was a top guy and will be sadly missed.

Last edited:
Very sad news, have followed his writings for many years & have a few of his books as well. Met him on three occasions at the CLA Gamefairs & in 2009 he & Angela signed a copy of their Game Seasons book for me.

He'll be very much missed.

RIP John

Chris

He was a smashing chap, very talented indeed, and with all his books and writings he will live on in our memories for ever

David

Great pity he shot here on occasion from what i remember he could shoot well. I cant say I read many of the ST articles but I have a number of his books. RIP

Mark

Back