Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plains game shooting platforms

plains game shooting platforms

Hi Guys,

I am luckly enought to be shooting in Namibia in April. I have heard and read that at this time of year the grasses should be quite high making shooting prone very difficult if not impossible.

So my question is, what other platforms are available? I attempted tripod sticks at the range (out to 100yds) and it was very unsteady (maybe just me)! Does anyone out there have expierence with the quad sticks or pains game at this time of year ... how did you take your shots...sticks, vehicle bonnet???

Any advice / suggestions would be great!

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

You really need to get comfortable on a crude "stick" tripod. You will be loping along crunched low to get clse. Your tracker will then set the sticks and you have to stand up, adjust to height, and then get onto animal and shoot.

No long time prone bipod easy shot.

Stan

Agree to the above, normaly a tripod made out of local sticks bound together with innertube etc, as said long stalks in, finishing with half crouch final stalk, then you take the shot at any distace yuo've managed to close to with the animal. Very exciting hunting, I can't wait till I go back in May. But be carefull of infection, especialy the one you can't get rid of, returning again and again to Africa. deerwarden

Thanks guys...alot more practice needed of the sticks before i go i think. I imagine that the PH / farm will have suitable stick?? I will taake my own anyway just in case.

Cant wait 'til April!!

Try Bogpod sticks ( 3 legged), very steady to shoot from.

By all means take your own sticks but the tracker won't like them. They really are adept at what they use every day.

Metal isn't what they're used to.

Anyway, a tripod can't be unsteady.

Stan

They look on bipods as most unusual! This lying down thing to shoot raises their eyebrows every time. Last time I was there the PH had three great lengths of bamboo - held together with inner tube as below - which he toted around with him. Very solid when it came to the shot - but a wee touch difficult if you had to follow the beast round as it moved. With luck you'll be as close as close can be! Success.

Quote Originally Posted by u32dw View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am luckly enought to be shooting in Namibia in April. I have heard and read that at this time of year the grasses should be quite high making shooting prone very difficult if not impossible.

So my question is, what other platforms are available? I attempted tripod sticks at the range (out to 100yds) and it was very unsteady (maybe just me)! Does anyone out there have expierence with the quad sticks or pains game at this time of year ... how did you take your shots...sticks, vehicle bonnet???
    Forget prone shooting. You are going to be doing spot and stalk, and when you get the opportunity to shoot there isn't going to be time to fanny about with a bipod. The PH will plonk the stalking sticks in front of you and expect you to shoot.

I've shot off stalking stick bipods and tripods, always provided by the PH. There's no need to take your own.

Here's a tip, and practice this before you go. Your 'PH' Ii.e. your mate) sets up the shooting sticks in front of you from your right side. That is, he stops walking and sets up the sticks on his left as you move to his left and alongside him. You drop the foreend into the V and get into the aim. Your left hand grasps the bipod at the crux if you want or hold the foreend. The PH moves in close to your right side and presents his left shoulder. You now drop your right elbow on his shoulder. Voila! You have a very stable position. But you need to practice this with a friend before you go so that you are entirely comfortable with it. You can practice with a .22 and chalk discs scattered about or something similar. Try aiming with and without support.

I hope this helps.

-JMS

Quote Originally Posted by JMS906 View Post
    Forget prone shooting. You are going to be doing spot and stalk, and when you get the opportunity to shoot there isn't going to be time to fanny about with a bipod. The PH will plonk the stalking sticks in front of you and expect you to shoot.

I've shot off stalking stick bipods and tripods, always provided by the PH. There's no need to take your own.

Here's a tip, and practice this before you go. Your 'PH' Ii.e. your mate) sets up the shooting sticks in front of you from your right side. That is, he stops walking and sets up the sticks on his left as you move to his left and alongside him. You drop the foreend into the V and get into the aim. Your left hand grasps the bipod at the crux if you want or hold the foreend. The PH moves in close to your right side and presents his left shoulder. You now drop your right elbow on his shoulder. Voila! You have a very stable position. But you need to practice this with a friend before you go so that you are entirely comfortable with it. You can practice with a .22 and chalk discs scattered about or something similar. Try aiming with and without support.

I hope this helps.

-JMS
    I have never been to Africa but I do hunt in country where some of the wild life can eat you. Why is the use of sticks emphasized over off hand practice?? I never carry sticks or bipods when I hunt big game. A friend of mine is going back to Africa to hunt this fall. He is a casual sportsman and is reluctant to practice off hand shooting saying he'll never use it in practice. What the heck?? ~Muir

Muir,

Here, on our little island, we tend not to have much space. We shoot on Rife Ranges with multiple lanes under the command of a Range Control Officer. Everyone has to be doing the same thing at the same time. Formal shooting.

Lesser outfits that you can use for zeroing or load development tend to permit prone or bench shooting.

If you want to "do your own thing" you really need your own land.

Now, over here we all believe in hitting the nail on the head when it comes to "animal respect" but still live with the fact that six inches is good enough.

If you can use a steady support then we do. In Africa locals use support if it's available. Only makes sense.

As a foreign hunter in Africa you will always have a PH and tracker with you.

Stan