plains game shooting platforms

u32dw

Hi Guys,

I am luckly enought to be shooting in Namibia in April. I have heard and read that at this time of year the grasses should be quite high making shooting prone very difficult if not impossible.

So my question is, what other platforms are available? I attempted tripod sticks at the range (out to 100yds) and it was very unsteady (maybe just me)! Does anyone out there have expierence with the quad sticks or pains game at this time of year ... how did you take your shots...sticks, vehicle bonnet???

Any advice / suggestions would be great!

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

You really need to get comfortable on a crude "stick" tripod. You will be loping along crunched low to get clse. Your tracker will then set the sticks and you have to stand up, adjust to height, and then get onto animal and shoot.

No long time prone bipod easy shot.

Stan

Agree to the above, normaly a tripod made out of local sticks bound together with innertube etc, as said long stalks in, finishing with half crouch final stalk, then you take the shot at any distace yuo've managed to close to with the animal. Very exciting hunting, I can't wait till I go back in May. But be carefull of infection, especialy the one you can't get rid of, returning again and again to Africa. deerwarden:lol:

Thanks guys...alot more practice needed of the sticks before i go i think. I imagine that the PH / farm will have suitable stick?? I will taake my own anyway just in case.

Cant wait 'til April!!

By all means take your own sticks but the tracker won't like them. They really are adept at what they use every day.

Metal isn't what they're used to.

Anyway, a tripod can't be unsteady.

Stan

They look on bipods as most unusual! This lying down thing to shoot raises their eyebrows every time. Last time I was there the PH had three great lengths of bamboo - held together with inner tube as below - which he toted around with him. Very solid when it came to the shot - but a wee touch difficult if you had to follow the beast round as it moved. With luck you'll be as close as close can be! Success.

Hi Guys,

I am luckly enought to be shooting in Namibia in April. I have heard and read that at this time of year the grasses should be quite high making shooting prone very difficult if not impossible.

So my question is, what other platforms are available? I attempted tripod sticks at the range (out to 100yds) and it was very unsteady (maybe just me)! Does anyone out there have expierence with the quad sticks or pains game at this time of year ... how did you take your shots...sticks, vehicle bonnet???

Forget prone shooting. You are going to be doing spot and stalk, and when you get the opportunity to shoot there isn't going to be time to fanny about with a bipod. The PH will plonk the stalking sticks in front of you and expect you to shoot.

I've shot off stalking stick bipods and tripods, always provided by the PH. There's no need to take your own.

Here's a tip, and practice this before you go. Your 'PH' Ii.e. your mate) sets up the shooting sticks in front of you from your right side. That is, he stops walking and sets up the sticks on his left as you move to his left and alongside him. You drop the foreend into the V and get into the aim. Your left hand grasps the bipod at the crux if you want or hold the foreend. The PH moves in close to your right side and presents his left shoulder. You now drop your right elbow on his shoulder. Voila! You have a very stable position. But you need to practice this with a friend before you go so that you are entirely comfortable with it. You can practice with a .22 and chalk discs scattered about or something similar. Try aiming with and without support.

I hope this helps.

-JMS

Forget prone shooting. You are going to be doing spot and stalk, and when you get the opportunity to shoot there isn't going to be time to fanny about with a bipod. The PH will plonk the stalking sticks in front of you and expect you to shoot.

I've shot off stalking stick bipods and tripods, always provided by the PH. There's no need to take your own.

Here's a tip, and practice this before you go. Your 'PH' Ii.e. your mate) sets up the shooting sticks in front of you from your right side. That is, he stops walking and sets up the sticks on his left as you move to his left and alongside him. You drop the foreend into the V and get into the aim. Your left hand grasps the bipod at the crux if you want or hold the foreend. The PH moves in close to your right side and presents his left shoulder. You now drop your right elbow on his shoulder. Voila! You have a very stable position. But you need to practice this with a friend before you go so that you are entirely comfortable with it. You can practice with a .22 and chalk discs scattered about or something similar. Try aiming with and without support.

I hope this helps.

-JMS

I have never been to Africa but I do hunt in country where some of the wild life can eat you. Why is the use of sticks emphasized over off hand practice?? I never carry sticks or bipods when I hunt big game. A friend of mine is going back to Africa to hunt this fall. He is a casual sportsman and is reluctant to practice off hand shooting saying he'll never use it in practice. What the heck?? :eek: ~Muir

Muir,

Here, on our little island, we tend not to have much space. We shoot on Rife Ranges with multiple lanes under the command of a Range Control Officer. Everyone has to be doing the same thing at the same time. Formal shooting.

Lesser outfits that you can use for zeroing or load development tend to permit prone or bench shooting.

If you want to "do your own thing" you really need your own land.

Now, over here we all believe in hitting the nail on the head when it comes to "animal respect" but still live with the fact that six inches is good enough.

If you can use a steady support then we do. In Africa locals use support if it's available. Only makes sense.

As a foreign hunter in Africa you will always have a PH and tracker with you.

Stan

Muir,

Here, on our little island, we tend not to have much space. We shoot on Rife Ranges with multiple lanes under the command of a Range Control Officer. Everyone has to be doing the same thing at the same time. Formal shooting.

Lesser outfits that you can use for zeroing or load development tend to permit prone or bench shooting.

If you want to "do your own thing" you really need your own land.

Now, over here we all believe in hitting the nail on the head when it comes to "animal respect" but still live with the fact that six inches is good enough.

If you can use a steady support then we do. In Africa locals use support if it's available. Only makes sense.

As a foreign hunter in Africa you will always have a PH and tracker with you.

Stan

I have never been to Africa but I do hunt in country where some of the wild life can eat you. Why is the use of sticks emphasized over off hand practice?? I never carry sticks or bipods when I hunt big game. A friend of mine is going back to Africa to hunt this fall. He is a casual sportsman and is reluctant to practice off hand shooting saying he'll never use it in practice. What the heck?? :eek: ~Muir

Phew!... So, I'm not the only one that shoots mostly off hand. I do carry a stick when stalking though, mostly to probe the bogs or snow and give the drag rope a handle. As for long shots, that's what the rucksack's for isn't it?

Muir,

Stan

Ah! So that's how the Plebs do it... :D ;)

I have done a certain amount of shooting in Africa - though I must admit not a great deal of it with the assistance of a PH.

Those who have never been there, or perhaps those who have only shot in areas of short grass, may believe that all of the continent is a great plain with the texture of a bowling green, spotted with great herds of game. Its not quite like that.

Much (most) of Africa is covered in 'bush' (thats why its called......) which varies from very dense forest to open and shut low scrub or grass plains - uncommon. Hence being able to shoot prone is highly unusual - I can only think of a couple of head of game I have shot prone from over a hundred head taken, and thinkingabout it even those I took from anthills. Even the grass plains have lots of weeds sticking up.

Therefore as advised above you should be totally comfortable with shooting off sticks - usually a pair of straightened sticks bound with 'mpira' - inner tube rubber.

I have also shot a great many deer from sticks when in woodland and then use the sticks whilst leaning against a tree - this is not usually not possible in Africa but makes for a very steady position. Most trees in Africa have thorns of one type or other sticking out and for the same reason crawling on all fours over a carpet of 'wait-a-bit' thorns is rather painfull.

The reason is that everyone shoots better off a rest. When the trophy is expensive or can eat you it makes sense to make the shot as sure as possible. In africa if you shoot dangerous game in the guts there are other peoples lives at risk. The trackers will be unarmed and the PH prefers not to follow up wounded animals. If he gets hurt his liveliehood is at risk. Another reason is it can help to make sure you shoot the right animal. Making sure the guest is shooting the same 3rd from left animal that you are looking at is important for everyone, and easier if done off the sticks.

am I right in thinking plains game is often shot out to 400yds? not easy off hand either I guess...LOL

I wouldnt exactly say "often"! I have hunted tens of plainsgame animals in Africa on 5 separate trips and the longest shot was an impala at 310 yards. Ironically that was my first big game animal, experience has allowed me to stalk a lot closer! Having said that it depends slightly on where you are hunting - oryx in the desert would be hard to get a shot less than 300 or so. But the vast majority of game can be had between 150-250.

You need to find out what kind of terrain you will be in hunting in Namibia. If you are out in the 'desert' e.g. Damaraland then prone bipod and long range will serve you well. But if you are in more grassy/bushy terrain then it will be standing shots off the sticks at closer range.

PHs like the sticks because it maximises the chances of a clean shot - they can't guarantee that a client won't be spraying lead from unsupported offhand shots and wounding game... Nothing to stop you shooting how you like though, as you are the client and paying. You have to accept the consequences of getting it wrong though, wounding an animal means lost hunting days in follow-ups, not to mention the suffering inflicted on the animal.

I have hunted Africa a few times, and have taken most of the plains game in Zululand, Cape, Northen SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe. I could count on one hand the times I have used a bipod on the rifle, so I wouldnt bother with one. However some of the shots on such beasts as Springbuck can be out on the salt pans with a good ground view and then a bipod could be usefull.

However most if not all of your shooting will be off sticks. I would imagine that April the grass will be fairly high and therefore prone shooting will not be of much use.

You may be lucky and have a handy tree nearby to lean on for the odd shot, but in all honesty practice off sticks and free hand. In thick bush you may not even get a chance to put the sticks up if you are after a Kudu for example. Either way the PH and the tracker who will be with you will advise.

Enjoy it, live it and like most who have been..............you will want to go back ;)

Good luck

Namibia - the land of contrasts!

Will it be like this (north west districts, e.g. damaraland)
Welwitschia_fs.jpg

or like this (districts around Etosha)
Lion_fs.jpg

(not my pics)

Back