Thread: Figuring out what your rifle likes to eat

Figuring out what your rifle likes to eat

I have been thinking over the advice I often see about buying several different brands of ammo and having a day on the range to check which brand your rifle likes best. This got me thinking about the best method for doing this.

I am guessing that the best way to carry out such a test would be to fire say 10 rounds of brand A, clean the rifle thoroughly, fire 10 rounds of brand B etc and compare the results.

Just wondered who others have decided on the brand their rifle likes best?
    Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 Bore
    Browing X-Bolt Stainless Stalker - 30-06
    Countryside Management Diary - http://www.leagueofwrath.co.uk/cmblog/

I usually use three-shot, or perhaps five-shot if I'm feeling generous, groups when doing this.
    The rifle is always thoroughly clean for the first shot of each group, as that is how it would be for the first shot in the field.

Plenty of cooling-time for barrel and mod between groups, too, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    I usually use three-shot, or perhaps five-shot if I'm feeling generous, groups when doing this.
    The rifle is always thoroughly clean for the first shot of each group, as that is how it would be for the first shot in the field.

Plenty of cooling-time for barrel and mod between groups, too, of course.
    Figured that was probably the way to go, thank you

An aspect to consider once you have homed in on a couple of likely candidates is how best to remove your personal bias. A blind test by a friend who can shoot might be an option. It certainly galls me to see my rifle shot better than I can shoot.

Good luck. JCS

Apart from cooling I found on almost all rifles that the barrel seems to need a few rounds of a new bullet
    before she settles in. Meaning, shooting brand A 3 or 5 shots then going to brand b 3 or 5 shots will not
    always lead to the right conclusion. I prefer to fire 2-5 shots with a new brand first, let cool then fire a 3 shot group.
    Often makes the difference between a 1" group to a 1/2 or 1/4" group.
    edi

make sure you get a good steady rest to rule out movement before testing. and just take your time.

Thanks chaps, excellent advice as always on SD

All good advice - I would only add that (in order to be as consistent as possible) you might have to spread the testing across several sessions. After shooting 30 or more rounds (of Brands A, B, and C etc.) you may be shooting round 31 better or worse than round 1...

Knots

Had 5 federal 100 in 243 left. Fired them off at 100 metres, 2.5"" grouping with one flier, pilot error. Then set about with 100gn winchester to re zero, no cleaning, two shots ,5" apart 1" high to the left 1"". 4 clicks right on the scope. 2 more shots directly above centre touching. left it at that. set target at 50m two shots .5" one inch low. These shots were as fieldcraft not bagged up to shoot remote. ie. off gamebag on landrover bonnet. tripod used to steady right elbow. I have never seen the point of a touching group engineered in a manner you could not within reason in the field. Conclusion. my prohunter likes winchester over federal.

If u can shoot two (solid) shot groups at varied distances will give u a better idea of how the bullets performe??