Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this an ideal bullet for Roe & Fox?

Is this an ideal bullet for Roe & Fox?

I'm always on the perpetual hunt for a good store bought .243 bullet for Roe. I need accuracy, a good knock down, with not too much damage. I've tried all sorts over the years. I don't normally like Ballistic tips at all except for Foxing - - I've seen too many problems etc. However I've been trying 75Gr Accutips recently to good effect. It seems to be a BT developed for hunting, it's extremely accurate, and doesn't leave the beast as if it's been in a car accident , - - saves changing to a varmint BT for the foxes too.
    Anyone else using them? What are the opinions out there ?

JR
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

Might not be that suitable for use on deer.

From the Remington website:

Index/EDI No. Order No. Caliber Nominal Bullet Dia. Bullet Weight (grs.) Bullet Style

RBA2431 24164 24/6mm .243/6mm 75 AccuTip-V

AccuTip-V for explosive performance on varmints

No listing for a 'standard' medium game bullet AccuTip in 75gr .243/6mm - they list a 95gr hunting AccuTip in complete ammunition and a 100gr in component bullets only.
    Last edited by Orion; 09-02-2012 at 13:00.

JRoe,

That's what I was using in my .243 before I changed it for a .22-250. In mine, a T3, the 75BT held the same zero as 100gn Norma SP. I never noticed any more damage with that than with any other .243 round. They were also one of the cheapest rounds in Grahams but last time I bought a box they were 32.

Only thing I didn't like about them was that the cases appeared to be pretty manky, not like the shiny Norma rounds.

I used to use 95gr Accutip for both. It's a hunting bullet not a varminting bullet. I then changed to 100 core locs. The 2 rounds have vertually identical zero at 100m.

But that is through my rifle not yours?

Jonathon

I prefer to use 90 - 95grn Bt's through my .243, it suits the 1:10 twist barrel but try different loads in your rifle as it may perform differently.atb. Tim

Think they will cause a lot of damage to the deer possible big hole when the round exit's, might find a lot of bruising as well. only way you will know is to have a go with them but I do suspect that they will do a lot of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by JRoe View Post
    I'm always on the perpetual hunt for a good store bought .243 bullet for Roe.
    The lightweight Ballistic Tips (e.g. the 6mm 70gr) have a pure lead core and thin jacket, they designed to expand very quickly, and are intended for varmints. The heavier (6mm 95gr though I think that was replaced with a 90gr) have a lead-antimony alloy and thicker jacket, designed to expand more slowly, and are intended for medium game, i.e. deer.

I and others I know have used the 95gr extensively on roe and red hinds, and performance has been entirely satisfactory. I also shot five pronghorn antelope with this bullet and performance was outstanding both at close and long distance (50-400 yards). Other bullets have performed equally well: Hornady 80gr SSP, Speer 85gr BTHP, Sierra 10gr SP, Hornady 100gr SP and BTSP and RN, Nosler 85gr Partition and possibly others. I can't say any one of them was better than the others. They all work as intended.

Provided you avoid the foreleg bone and punch through the heart/lungs, or the neck spine, I don't think it makes much difference which expanding bullet your use. And if you do strike the foreleg, you are going get extensive muscle damage regardless which bullet you used.

As for fox, unless you want to keep the hide, why use a different bullet to the one you use on roe? Am I missing something?

-JMS

I am currently using the Hornady 95 grain sst round no complaints so far , minimal damage on deer and the foxes
    seem to like them

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Think they will cause a lot of damage to the deer possible big hole when the round exit's, might find a lot of bruising as well. only way you will know is to have a go with them but I do suspect that they will do a lot of damage.
    Hi Jason - - originally I would have totally agreed with you - - that's what I expected too.... one of the reasons I'm taken with them is because there is very little meat damage, it seems to be controlled expansion, not like BTs I've seen in the past. It leaves an exit of about 1" so it's not as if it's exploding on the outside like some - - I'll try and get some photos next time. I've seen them marketed for Whitetail and they seem to emphasise that it's not just a Varmint bullet but a Hunting BT.

As always I'm open to correction though - -maybe 75gn is too light ? - - the subject is always good for debate though.

JR
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

.243 Bullet weight affects accuracy depending on twist rate. Lighter bullets shoot best with slower twist rates i.e. 1:10 whereas 100gr say prefer 1:8 rate.