Thread: Bavarian mountain hound training

Bavarian mountain hound training

Well lads
    I have a 6 month old Bavarian that I'm training for deer. When I have him on the lead he is very calm and quiet. I walk he walks beside me, I stop then he will stop and sit..thing is when I take him off the lead he tends to move around too much and doesn't stay close to me. What way do I go about getting him to stay close to me??
    Thanks in advance

Try having something interesting in your hand like bits of chicken or treats. might have to sacrifice your finger tips for a bit but it might work...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Try having something interesting in your hand like bits of chicken or treats. might have to sacrifice your finger tips for a bit but it might work...
    Thanks bud he actually has a very soft mouth as regards taking food from your hand. I'll try that and see how I get on

he is just a pup yet do not expect too much to soon, plenty of time when he is a year +
    not easy I know if you only have one dog and are eager to train it.

Got to agree with Collieman your dog is still very much a pup and you just cannot expect too much. Not sure what you mean by moving around too much. My BMH is now 2 pasted and although he does not walk to heel glued to my left leg he is always near me without getting under my feet. As long as he stops when I stop I am quite happy with that. Although I have plenty of experience with dogs this is my first BMH. They are different to any breed I have had before. What I do notice is that mine quickly catches on to what the game is. He almost senses from my pace a need to walk quietly beside me when the need arises and that he can be a bit more active at other times.
    All the best with the young dog.

+1 On the above comments.

While some dogs mature quicker than others, 6 months is still a pup. Any spaniels or labs I have had in the past would be getting plenty praise just for staying by me off the lead as every new smell or sight is a temptation.

My GWP walks well beside me when stalking and if she gets a wee bit ahead of herself, a gentle (and I mean gentle) tap on her bum with my stick reminds her to just drop back a wee bit. She is 8 now and still gets a bit ahead of herself at times!!!

My BMH is now 12 months and very much still a pup.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    My BMH is now 12 months and very much still a pup.
    got any photo's of him / her. i love em

Woodford its a she and she is already a star she has a lot to live up to with her mentor being the most famous HWV ever to take up the sport of deer stalking But i am sure she will make the grade with or with out a line.