Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 x 55 ammo suggestions?

6.5 x 55 ammo suggestions?

Having just taken possession of a new Mauser M03 Extreme,
    I now have the awkward decision on ammunition. Having shot mainly shotguns, I am at a bit of a loss regarding the best make/bullet type/weight for my rifle.
    I understand the concept of shooting groups of 3 and comparing them but what should I start with?
    Also with prices working out at over 2 a round it could work out expensive getting to a point when I am happy!
    So, what do you good people recommend? It's purely for deer.
    Any suggestions greatly received!

Also the best price/place for ammunition in Herts?
    You live and learn........
    .........or you don't live long

Quote Originally Posted by Herbi1969 View Post
    Having just taken possession of a new Mauser M03 Extreme,
    I now have the awkward decision on ammunition. Having shot mainly shotguns, I am at a bit of a loss regarding the best make/bullet type/weight for my rifle.
    I understand the concept of shooting groups of 3 and comparing them but what should I start with?
    Also with prices working out at over 2 a round it could work out expensive getting to a point when I am happy!
    So, what do you good people recommend? It's purely for deer.
    Any suggestions greatly received!

Also the best price/place for ammunition in Herts?
    Why not try some prvi partisan assuming you can get hold of them,they do two weights for 6.5 a 156 gn and a 139 I think, my mate has a 6.5 and they group well in his Tikka,about 12 quid a box so no need to cry too much if your rifle dosent like em,and you can save the cases if you decide on the reloading route.

Herbi,

As Hornet says, run it in with a box of Privis and if they group ok, look no further. I tried Federal and Norma factory loads in mine before I started homeloading. Federal soft points were ok for accuracy. Norma ballistic tips were more accurate, but pricier.

Cheers,

Bob

I have just got a Tikka in 6.5x55.
    Its OK with Privi, maybe 2.5'' groups a 100yds.

Hornady 140g Interlock are working for me at present a 1/2'' group and they kill well. Price is 24-50/20rounds

2 per round is hellishly expensive

I put Sellier and Beller through my 6.5 Sauer and they were in a 4 inch group at 100y. And that was 3 differnt people shooting it. Mate put some through his 6.5 Tikka and got a cloverleaf. An RFD told me RWS were excellent for his .308.Sauer I tried them through my Sauer .308 and they were all over the place. Whats good for the goose isn't neccesarily good for the gander. You have to see what suits your own rifle. As said above buy a couple of boxes of different makes of same grain weight rounds and see which shoots best

Scrun

I've used 140gn Federal Power Shoks from day one though my 6.5x55 Mannlicher & they work great for me, easily under 1" if I play my part.

They open up well on Roe as well.

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Another vote for PRVI 139 grain. One-half to 3/4 inches at 100M from my FN. ANd cheap! Even here in the US...~Muir

My 6.5 sako, norma 120 grn is clover leaf at 100 and 200 yds, the cost of the factory ammo at 40.00 per box has lead me to start reloading, a whole new experience and I am looking forward to making up a load to suit the rifle, the wallet says do it, seeing as I will have the empty cases, my mate is taken me under his wing to set me up with the right gear and mentoring the process, hey ho away we go, might even say some money long term

I have used Federal Power-Shok 140grn in my Sako 6.5x55 they gave good results grouping around 1", accurate enough for deer stalking. I haven't tried Partisan's however I know many who swear by them plus a few others who have swore at them so they don't work for everyone.
    I am currently loading Hornady Interlocks over H414 which are giving me 1/2 MOA's after some experimentation. Why not have a go at loading your own Herbi ?

Just a Prvi comment. I use them in my .243. I can get 2 touching and one away making a 1" group, funny thing is it's not always the last round that's a flyer! But they do kill ok.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian