Thread: Cases

Cases

Just about to start reloading 6.5 x 55 & .223 rounds under guidance from my buddy

I have a mixture of lapua, norma, hornady and selliott & belliott once fired empty cases.

Is it best to keep these makes seperate and use one for each load made up or can the cases be mixed, thinking on the length and case thickness may alter the loading consistency ?

My thoughts are to just to keep them seperate and discard the cheaper cases from s&b etc, and or lay out more money for a whole batch of the same?. I have a batch of 100 hornady once fired shell cases, I guess they could be the first batch of loads for the 6.5.

Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Just about to start reloading 6.5 x 55 & .223 rounds under guidance from my buddy

I have a mixture of lapua, norma, hornady and selliott & belliott once fired empty cases.

Is it best to keep these makes seperate and use one for each load made up or can the cases be mixed, thinking on the length and case thickness may alter the loading consistency ?

My thoughts are to just to keep them seperate and discard the cheaper cases from s&b etc, and or lay out more money for a whole batch of the same?. I have a batch of 100 hornady once fired shell cases, I guess they could be the first batch of loads for the 6.5.

Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Phil
    Keep the different brands seperate, different brands have different case thickness and therefore different volume so pressure will vary resulting in different velocities and POI between the brands, there are probably other facters as well.

Lapua & Norma are highly rated among the reloading guys.
    Last edited by Jonher; 10-02-2012 at 10:02. Reason: spelling
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Jonher View Post
    Keep the different brands seperate, different brands have different case thicknesses and therefore different volume so pressure will vary resulting in different velocities and POI between the brands, there are probably other facters as well.

Lapua & Norma are hightly rated among the reloading guys.
    +1

I use lapua cases in my .308 and have never had a problem. I've tried Winchester and Lapua in my 7mm Rem Mag and the variation in impact and the tightness of the group with the same load and bullet is unbelievable - Lapua won. My advice is stick with one set of cases, the best you have, and load with those. Strangely, when I mixed Lapua and Norma cases they shot identically - perhaps they're made by the same people or have similar tolerences ? I've just got a 6.5 x 55 and am about to start reloading using S&B cases and have heard that they're not very good, but i'll reserve judgement til i've tried them out - the rifle certainly didnt like S&B factory rounds, though a mate was cloverleafing with them in his 6.5

I have a mate who's very anal about reloading. He even weighs the cases and batch loads them. He's a bench shooter so the rifle is clamped in position and there's little or no shooter input. However he's found that if a case shoots V bull (at 1000m !), all things being equal that case will always achieve the same - regardless of weigh. I wonder if it's something to do with the width or strength of the case at certain points - perhaps someone can answer that one ?

According to the Norma catalogue they make the Lapua cases to Lapua's specs. If fact Norma make cases for loads of other "Ammunition" manufacturers according to their catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    According to the Norma catalogue they make the Lapua cases to Lapua's specs. If fact Norma make cases for loads of other "Ammunition" manufacturers according to their catalogue.
    Thats answered that one then - Thanks Brit

Thanks Guys

Greatly appreciated

Phil

+1 for Lapua cases, reloading .223

ATB
    Wullie.
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!