Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice about tikka 695 deluxe in .270 that i have been offered

advice about tikka 695 deluxe in .270 that i have been offered

i am after some information on a rifle that I have been offered its a tikka 695 deluxe in .270 at the moment I can not get to the rifle to see it my self. So I am going by what the dealer can tell me, and of course with the normal second hand dear “it had one careful owner never been used”. He did send me some photos and some information the best way I can describe the rifle looking at the photos is, as new condition there is not one mark that I can see on the wood and it looks to be of a good grade of walnut, it does have a stainless barrel I am not sure if they were produced with one or if it has had one fitted, it also comes with 30mm rings a wildcat mod and again I could see no scratches or marks on it. He has also had the bore checked by PRS and it was give a full bill of health, 2 boxes of ammunition. He did confirm that it was owned by an elderly gent who has given it up due to his age.
    Now to the cut when did they stop making the 695?
    Are they any good? Common faults problems?
    What would one be worth as described?

Thanks charlie

Why does it matter when they stopped production?

As often happens when a new model is released the older models get left on the rack or in the store room in the box as the punters must have the latest and greatest even if the new model is actually inferior to the one it replaces. Sadly cost cuttign in production is more often the reason for new models than actual improvements.

As I am not up on Tikka specs sorry I cannot comment on the barrels/materials like I say sorry.

However if it's like new and the price is good then why are you waiting?

Let's face it if it has just been used for the bit of stalking has been cleaned and cared for and you say PRS have scoped the bore and given it the A-OK then to my mind it's better than a new T3 and probably better than a Sako 75/85.

Common faults are good ones don't sit on the shelves of dealers long as there are those who Know how good they are

As to price again sorry cannot help but to say as the rifle is chambered for the 270 Winchester which for some reason has been out of fashion it seems for the last decade and a bit then the price will be lower than if it was in say .308 or .243 Win. Price will also vary depending on where you are, or the rifle is, in the country. One could always make a few phone calls to dealers around and ask what one would cost.

The 695 was replaced by the accursed T3 nine or ten years ago. Some of them do still turn up new or near to it. They are a very good rifle, usually very accurate and with no vices I have ever heard of.

I don't remember ever hearing of a 695 in a timber stock with a stainless barrel. It may be rebarreled if it has a black action and a stainless barrel. If the action and barrel are both stainless, it is possible some one added the delux stock to a stainless synthetic rifle.

If the price was right I would have no hesitation buying it. See if you can get it shipped to you for inspection. Hard to say on value, these rifles are pretty desirable here in Ireland and sell for more SH now than they did when new. £600 to £700 I would have thought.

Can you post the photo's for us to see?
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

as claret dabbler said its likely it was a stainless synthetic if the barrel and action are stainless. like this one of mine but going by your post if the action is blued and it has a stainless barrel it is more then likely a aftermarket barrel which is great. if it is in as good nick as prs said you have nothing to worry about.

only other thing could be the blued barrel that was on it was shot out. and whoever owned it found a factory m695 stainless barrel and had that fitted ??

the deluxe stock tikka's have nice timber. and rosewood on the bottom of the pistol grip and at the end of the stock. there true righthanded also due to the cheek piece on them.

what to pay for it ? well thats the hard part imo the long action tikka's like the m690 and m695 don't seam to fetch as much as the m590 and m595 short actions. mainly because the short actions are popular for semi custom builds in popular calibres like. 22/250, 243, 308. and can be used for 260, 6x47, and 6br which will feed from the 22/250 mag.

so i wouldn't want to pay any more then £500 for it. but you can expect to pay more from a dealer. and if it is as good as you think it is condition wise.
    its still cheap for these type of rifles.

i love the m595 and m695. there super smooth, got great triggers for a factory trigger. you can change the spring in them if you want to make them lighter still if needed. safety is simple and locks the bolt which is good. and you can get 3 and 5 shot mags for them which feed lovely and smooth.
    Last edited by jay 22; 10-02-2012 at 11:45.

If it has the Deluxe stock (rollover cheekpiece with walnut cappings) then it was only produced with a blued barrel and action until production ended in 2003.

There was a Master All-Weather (stainless barrel/black synthetic stock) and a Master Laminated (stainless barrel/grey laminate stock) in the 2002 Catalogue..... the forerunners of the step down-market to the T3 series.

What you're looking at is some sort of restocked synthetic hybrid, or an original Deluxe which has been rebarrelled with a stainless tube. If it's an original Tikka barrel or action then both components will have what looks like the Tikka woodpecker emblem ('Tikka' is Finnish for woodpecker) stamped at the end of all the lettering.

Some pics and the Serial No. would help to pin this down.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

here are some of the photos that i was given i have been told that the barrel was after market, so it is a blued action and stainless barrel, for what and by who i dont know. the stock does not have the rose wood cap and tip as mentioned, and does not look like it has a cheek piece on it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tikka M695 Deluixe in 270  with Wildcat Moderator 008.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	12566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tikka M695 Deluixe in 270  with Wildcat Moderator 005.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	275.3 KB 
ID:	12568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tikka M695 Deluixe in 270  with Wildcat Moderator 006.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	285.8 KB 
ID:	12572

Charlie, that is not a delux, it is a bog standard 695 with a reasonable bit of timber. You would need to see the barrel markings. Is it a rebarrel with a brand name barrel or is it a mix and match that has been rebarrelled with a stainless Tikka barrel taken off another rifle.

If it is a good barrel added by a decent smith, it still might be worth towards £700 including the mounts and mod. If it has a second hand Tikka barrel, it is worth a lot less.

Also, looking again I think that is a varmint forend with a sporter barrel. There might be a fair gap along the barrel channel.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

That stock and 5-shot magazine shows it was once a Master 'Continental', rather than a Deluxe.

This had a 60cm heavy barrel instead of the standard taper 57cm, so in .270 might have been a wee bit heavy to lug around for stalking.... hence the rebarrelling. The barrel channel will be hogged out for the thicker barrel. It's also got an extra Tikka butt spacer.

RRP price at the Sportsman or York Guns 10 years back would have been about £550.

ATB.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I used an M595 in 7mm-08 for a couple of years, and always found it to be reliable and accurate. The only problem with the older Tikkas is obtaining spare magazines - I managed to get two from GMK. It would be worth giving them a call, as there is an outside chance that they might have some still available.

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    I used an M595 in 7mm-08 for a couple of years, and always found it to be reliable and accurate. The only problem with the older Tikkas is obtaining spare magazines - I managed to get two from GMK. It would be worth giving them a call, as there is an outside chance that they might have some still available.
    Did the same only yesterday (albeit for a different calibre) - they have a good range in stock at the moment - get your local RFD to put an order in for you (if you want one of course!)
    Last edited by Eric the Red; 10-02-2012 at 13:25. Reason: smellig
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........