Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combination gun

Combination gun

I'm fed up with being outsmarted by local wildlife as I regularly have the wrong gun with me (as in the rifle when birds fly over and the shotgun when muntjac or deer nonchalantly stroll by) so I have been toying with the idea of a combination gun, but am a bit put off by this thread -

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/35280-CZ-Combi-gun-troubles?highlight=combination

My ideal combo would be 20g (or 12g) with 22-250 (if such a combo exists) but I'm looking at secondhand and there is a 12g / .22 hornet advertised on t'interweb (CZ / BRNO again) that might fit the bill - but are they any good?

What sort of accuracy can I expect out of a combo rifle? Are they realistically only a 100 yard gun or can I expect reasonable accuracy beyond that?

All assistance appreciated and if anyone has a combo for sale I could be interested.

Thanks in advance.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

I have a Sabatti Forest combi in 12/ 7x57R and it's very accurate, if I allow it to cool between shots it will easy shoot 1 inch groups at 100 meters!

When I took my shooting test I fired 3 consecutive shots into a 2.5" group at 100 meters and that was whilst sitting, would have been better if I done it prone.

There are two options available:

1) Attached version: Rifle and shotgun barrel are welded together, this is a more sturdy design but is more effected by heat stringing as the rifle barrel heats up, it also has little or no adjustment (usually configured at the factory) for configuring point of aim between the rifle and shotgun barrel, it is also slightly heavier.

2) Free floating: Rifle barrel is not attached to the shotgun barrel, this design is not as sturdy but is not effected by as much as the barrel heats up, they also have some degree of adjustability where you can adjust the POI of the rifle, and is lighter.

I have the attached version and I'm really happy with it, it allows me to go out after deer but if I flush out a bird, hare or fox i can have a pop with the shotgun barrel

One piece of advice would be to try and go for one with an adjustable stock as they are usually set up for use with iron-sites and when using a scope the stock can be a bit low.

Here's some pics of mine, it's just a cheap mass produced Sabatti but it does the job!

Go for it!!!
    Last edited by Jonher; 10-02-2012 at 12:37.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

This might convince you (it almost has me!):

Drei ist besser! Drilling by Sauer Sohn - 7x57r + 16/70

Apparently eGun - Der Marktplatz ftzen und Angler is the place to look for one.

Go for it - I use one as well in - a Ferlach built 16 / 7x65R. You will find a number in 12 / 243 or 12 / 222 by Brno which are good solid guns. Accuracy is good enough - just over an inch at 100 yds if I do my bit. Ditto on the comments re barrel warming - a quick second shot is OK, but they are not the weapon of choice for culling several red hinds at once. I have made a leather lace on cheek piece so I get a better view through the scope.

Havent used the shot barrel that much, but just the thing for close range foxes or rabbits. If using it for any form of flying game you must have the rifle chamber empty IMHO.

What I do like about them, is that you can carry them broken or empty whilst stalking, and it is very quiet and easy to slip a round into the chamber and take the shot. If you need a follow up shot, again quick and silent to reload.

In terms of travelling - they break down like a shotgun.

Which one to get and from where - the Brno's / CZ are good working guns, although a bit stiff at first. Blazer's, Merkels etc are all good and top are the Ferlach built ones. Look in the Holts auction - they often have a few and you can get them for pretty reasonable money.

The Finnclassi - or Old Tikka 512 are aso worth a look - on one frame you can have double barreled shotgun, a combination gun and a double rifle. http://www.marocchiarms.com/index.ph...&product_id=15

Good Combination gun forums on accurate reloading, double gun journal and Nitro express.

And don't mention you are thinking of one to the worshippers of the tacticool (you know, plastic, bipod, heavy barrel, extended mag etc) variety of rifle - you will never hear the end of it!

Just found an earlier thread with pictures.

Combination Gun - have got it

Haven't yet shot a grouse with it, but been mighty tempted, but have never been in season.

I have two combination guns, a 12g/.243 Brno and a 20g/.222 Zoli, both acquired for the reasons you mention. I really like the fact that I can go and stand on a flight line for an hour or two, then slip up into a high seat until dark, and close the day with a lamping sweep all with the same gun.

In the field I rely on the open sights for anything out to about 75m, keeping the scope and mount in a belt pouch or in my game pocket. There's always time to get the scope on for more distant quarry, but closer-range opportunities don't give you time to take it off.

The Zoli comes out with me more often than the Brno because it's smaller, lighter and quieter, and so I'll only opt for the Brno if I expect to encounter roe. As for range, all the deer I've killed with both guns have been comfortably inside 100m because that's typical of my ground, but I have taken a couple of foxes with the Zoli at 140m and 150m and both were hit as neatly as if I'd been using one of my bolt-actions. Accuracy is helped by the fact that both guns have a set trigger for the rifle barrel that gives a very precise let-off.

Heym's comment about having the rifle chamber empty if using the gun for any form of flying game is spot on, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    I have made a leather lace on cheek piece so I get a better view through the scope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonher View Post
    One piece of advice would be to try and go for one with an adjustable stock as they are usually set up for use with iron-sites and when using a scope the stock can be a bit low.
    I tried using a comb raiser when I first started with combination guns, but perhaps because I use mine at least as much in shotgun as in rifle mode I found I shot better without it. The Zoli's comb is actually fine for use with both the irons and the scope but the Brno's comb is a bit lower so, when I remember (!), I carry an Eagle Industries Stock Pack in a pocket in case I need to set up for a longer shot. This fastens with Velcro so it's much quicker to fit and remove than a lace-on cheek-piece. Jonher's adjustable comb looks neat though: do you need tools to raise/lower it?

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    The Finnclassic - or Old Tikka 512 are also worth a look - on one frame you can have double barrelled shotgun, a combination gun and a double rifle.
    There's a nice set of this sort on Guntrader right now.

The Finn classic is now made under a different name in Italy. If I remember where I saw it will post a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Jonher's adjustable comb looks neat though: do you need tools to raise/lower it?
    Yes mate, it adjusts with two allen screw on the other side of the stock.

I use a 1.5-6x42 scope which I leave 1.5 when stalking so if anything jumps out I can use the scope with the shotgun, I don't use the iron sites.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Many thanks for all replies.

Nice combo (12g / .222) identified and working on it
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).