Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe groups

Roe groups

Just wondered what size roe groups others on here have seen.
    Only asking as I saw a group of 15 earlier today and never seen anything like it, 6's and 7's yes, but never 15.

Matt.

I have seen two different (40 miles apart) groups of twelve this year, which are the largest groups that I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5/284matt View Post
    Just wondered what size roe groups others on here have seen.
    Only asking as I saw a group of 15 earlier today and never seen anything like it, 6's and 7's yes, but never 15.

Matt.
    Saw these kind of numbers on an estate in Surrey when I lived up that way. Mentioning no names but the guy who had the monopoly on the stalking on many estates locally frequented the area with his clients between April and October but was nowhere to be seen between November to March. The quality and the health of the deer was not all that great.

SD Regular
    Yes, seeing bigger groups than I have done in recent years - well into double figures.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

the biggest group i have seen was 19 very nice to see on my ground when the weather gets bad they really do flock to my ground as the farmer likes to feed up for them and the birds,atb wayne

Regularly get groups of 14 or so in winter here. They're a bugger to get into for a shot!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Im sure 6Pointer will supply the photo he put on here last year there were around 14 roe deer in it near Newton Mearns outside Glasgow

Nothing to do with over shooting in the warmer months. Just natural behaviour when they are all "driven"out of their comfort zone into available fodder.

You ony see this on arable land.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Nothing to do with over shooting in the warmer months. Just natural behaviour when they are all "driven"out of their comfort zone into available fodder.

You ony see this on arable land.

Stan
    You might be right. The place in Surrey was arable but I would still say there is a limit to the amount of deer any given area can sustain. There was fodder all year round in among the woods and borders for roe but I would argue not enough to sustain the amount I was seeing.

There was 5 in a field near Keswick, Cumbria today.
    The farmer has spread slurry there but has left a strip untouched for the deer adjacent to the wooded area.
    It is rare to see greater numbers locally.

HWH.