Thread: Changeable Mounts

Changeable Mounts

Hello there,

Newb looking for some advice.

Have picked rifle and I think I have picked the scope, now just considering the mounts.
    '
    I'd like to be able to use the rifle for deer stalking and also for driven boar so I'd like something I can change the scope over to a red dot without too much messing about.

As I see it, I have 3 options.

a) Voere QD mounts
    b) Other manufacturer QD mounts
    c) Weaver type rail

Folks, your thoughts much appreciated as always!

ATB,

Scrummy

What rifle have you got because the best qd mounts i have found are leupold

In the old days I had Ernst Apel mounts on my Mauser 66 interchangeable barrel rifles.
    They worked perfectly but I expect they will be very expensive today.

HWH.

Like Boar & Deer, I use the Leupold QD mounts on most of my rifles. Never been more than half an inch out when reassembling (even after a 3000 mile flight and a game of "lets see who can chuck these rifle cases the furthest" by the airport staff)! Excellent value for the money.

Haven't looked at Leupold yet. Voere supply QD mounts on their rifles and Ziegler make some mounts that looks good but pricey. Maybe time to look at the rail...

Hillside,

Do you realse how fast luggage systems at major hubs operate?

Your item of luggage will drop into a cart travelling at 80 Mph and then be routed to a drop point where it will be tipped and then impact the bottom of the delivery shute. Only at this point will a human then scan it and load it into the designated container that is instructed.

We only see late luggage being put on long haul flights or short haul 737 being loaded by hand.

Stan

If you say what rifle its for i will look for the bases

Hello Stan, I had no idea what went on behind the scenes. Thanks for the heads up! However, what I did see were a couple of guys hefting our gear onto the collection ramp (despite our cases being clearly marked as containing " firearms". This offputting experiance is what has prompted me to switch to QD mounts so that the scopes can be removed for traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Hillside,

Do you realse how fast luggage systems at major hubs operate?

Your item of luggage will drop into a cart travelling at 80 Mph and then be routed to a drop point where it will be tipped and then impact the bottom of the delivery shute. Only at this point will a human then scan it and load it into the designated container that is instructed.

We only see late luggage being put on long haul flights or short haul 737 being loaded by hand.

Stan

Well folks, looks like it will be the rail due to flexibility and cost!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
    Hello Stan, I had no idea what went on behind the scenes. Thanks for the heads up! However, what I did see were a couple of guys hefting our gear onto the collection ramp (despite our cases being clearly marked as containing " firearms". This offputting experiance is what has prompted me to switch to QD mounts so that the scopes can be removed for traveling.
    Despite the guff they give out do you really think they move firearms separately?

I KNOW they say they do but having seen so many appear on the carosel in the baggage hall one has to wonder how much is hot air and lies.