foxes and snow

Deanandrew64

went to bradnop early this morning foxing, after three hours in the frost and snow gave up and had to make do with a rabbit on way back to the van, on the way home though there was a fresh fox by the side of the road just outside leek, then another at upper hulme and a third one in flash all seamed fresh this morning, wonder if they are getting snow blind and cant see the cars? anyone else seen any road kill victims during the cold snap

Its funny you should post this i went on a ten mile journey today as i do most days and i must have seen 5 dead foxes i very rarely see them dead on this stretch of the road could be coincidence who knows

it easier going along the road when snow is on the ground so they are running the roads more than normal

That is due to daylight now coming earlier and roads being busier at the time when foxes are heading home.

Had this big boy in the snow:

Photo107.jpg

He was recovering a rabbit he'd buried next to a tree stump when i nailed him. You can just see the bunny at the top of the picture.

Was driving home from the Injun on the night it snowed down here and saw 7 live foxes ducking onto and off of the road in the 6 mile drive back home.

Id say your about right there
i would say a few reasons,yes the road is easier,but lets face it it only realy hinders them if it touches there belly,i would say they are after road kill,we get a load of snow,,,,sometimes!! and the fox seems to disapear when the snow first arrives i think they dig in and wait for it to harden up,it dont take long -10 plus soon hardens,then the fox is like he is on tarmac everywhere,come on we need snow..........

We had a run out, all the areas had snow and we didn't see a thing, I have seen more than normal around the town, I guess they are going for the easier food option towns and villages, that could tie in with the road collisions

Had this big boy in the snow:

Photo107.jpg

He was recovering a rabbit he'd buried next to a tree stump when i nailed him. You can just see the bunny at the top of the picture.

Was driving home from the Injun on the night it snowed down here and saw 7 live foxes ducking onto and off of the road in the 6 mile drive back home.
What have i told you about shooting MY foxes :D

The fox we have here like to hunt in snow storms. When I have hunted fox, it was with a small caliber (.310) muzzleloader and the best hunting was in a snow storm. If you crossed a fox trail you simply followed it. The natural curiosity of the fox would cause them to pause for a look at what was following them in the same snow that gave them some visual cover from their own prey. I do think that falling snow impedes their visual acuity because I could get quite close. I am no fox hunting expert tho and for many years now I have let them be.~Muir

Back