Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Manners

Bad Manners

Due to the hard frost friday night i decided to stalk late yesterday morning . Over the last few outings i had been taking someone out with me who currently only shoots air rifles and shotguns to give him some general guidance when it comes to firearms , well after about an 20 mins of generally walking and glassing we spotted a mature doe with a buck and i decided to leave them together with the hope that the doe will keep the buck on the ground untill the seasons change . Anyway we carried on up the banks and onto the flat fields on the top , as we walked into the second flat field we spotted two young does lying against the hedgerow soaking up the sun, at the same time i noticed a walker coming through the gateway 100yrds to our left accompanied by two dogs which when they seen us let of a few barks in turn spooking the deer . The dog walker headed straight towords us so i said we had better lift our vails etc and greet the walker on doing so the walker expressed that he owned the nieghbouring chicken farm and had we shot anything , i expressed no but had spotted a couple roe and a fox at this point i asked the obvious , do you get any problems with foxes and vermin He replied that the chickens were housed but the foxes spend a lot of time in the vacinity and quite often take his nieghbours ducks but he has got a big problem with magpies . I replied do you want them shot , to my surprise the friend who was with me pipes up and said i will shoot the magpies for you , i was gobsmacked as he also carried on to say how he had done this and done that . Needless to say i was getting annoyed at the dribble he was coming out with along with the fact that he was a guest on the ground and was being nothing but bad mannered . Anyway a shake of hands with the nieghbour /walker and a promise of a visit to clarify what needs doing and to get the paperwork sorted would happen over the next few days .
    Once the walker /nieghbour was out of site i felt the need to tell my friend what a w-nk-r he was but refrained and headed straight back to the truck not even discussing the issue , once back at the truck he asked what was wrong all i could do was to shake my head in disbelief.
    Is it just me who feels that to try and take anothers opportunity of shooting further ground whilst being a guest on the ground you are on is BAD MANNERS or is that the done thing . Needless to say the friend will not be shooting on any of my ground again nore will i be his mentor for a proposed C/F application

So you've not told your friend how you feel but you think it is OK to post the matter in the public domain instead?

Sure it was wrong of him to pipe up, but after the walker left you should have told him so he can learn from this, apoligse and act accordingly. If then at that point argued with you then fine but to not say anything and come on here and mention it is in itself bad manners in my opinion.

some people just do not understand friendship is fragile.I and stalk andshoot with friends and we would never dream of trying to steal one anothers shooting.Best thing dont take any one you cant truely trust.You could try and beat him to it and explain what a trustless person they are. Good luck

The first mistake you made was not making him wear a hesian sack over his head on the way there

The second was after the dog walker left, you should have said "if anyone is going to be shooting those magpies it will be me"
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    So you've not told your friend how you feel but you think it is OK to post the matter in the public domain instead?

Sure it was wrong of him to pipe up, but after the walker left you should have told him so he can learn from this, apoligse and act accordingly. If then at that point argued with you then fine but to not say anything and come on here and mention it is in itself bad manners in my opinion.
    If in your opinion its bad manners thats fair enough , the person in question isnt a user of this site . The point i was trying to make is by doing someone a favour and taking the unsaid rules for granted how you can shoot yourself in the foot .

Quote Originally Posted by Monument veiw View Post
    If in your opinion its bad manners thats fair enough , the person in question isnt a user of this site . The point i was trying to make is by doing someone a favour and taking the unsaid rules for granted how you can shoot yourself in the foot .
    Yeah he shouldn't have done that your right, but do you not feel that you should tell him that you think him trying to pitch for shooting when out with you as a guest was wrong?

I can see your point and fully accept it in respect of bad manners but I suppose to be really fair to your friend, did he realise that he had breached accepted etiquette amongst shooters? Judging by the fact that he asked you what was wrong there may be a good chance that he did not know he had done wrong. Just because you know what is and is nit acceptable it is foolish to assume that everyone else does, it may have been in the best interest of all for you to have put him right. Now it may well be that a possible newcomer to our sport has lost a potential mentor and you a stalking companion.

So as AliS has already stated it may have been better for you to explain things to him.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

'Manner' are just a matter of convention, and are learned from others. If he didn't realise what he had done wrong, you should have explained to him, so that he could do likewise, in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Monument veiw View Post
    Due to the hard frost friday night i decided to stalk late yesterday morning . Over the last few outings i had been taking someone out with me who currently only shoots air rifles and shotguns to give him some general guidance when it comes to firearms , well after about an 20 mins of generally walking and glassing we spotted a mature doe with a buck and i decided to leave them together with the hope that the doe will keep the buck on the ground untill the seasons change . Anyway we carried on up the banks and onto the flat fields on the top , as we walked into the second flat field we spotted two young does lying against the hedgerow soaking up the sun, at the same time i noticed a walker coming through the gateway 100yrds to our left accompanied by two dogs which when they seen us let of a few barks in turn spooking the deer . The dog walker headed straight towords us so i said we had better lift our vails etc and greet the walker on doing so the walker expressed that he owned the nieghbouring chicken farm and had we shot anything , i expressed no but had spotted a couple roe and a fox at this point i asked the obvious , do you get any problems with foxes and vermin He replied that the chickens were housed but the foxes spend a lot of time in the vacinity and quite often take his nieghbours ducks but he has got a big problem with magpies . I replied do you want them shot , to my surprise the friend who was with me pipes up and said i will shoot the magpies for you , i was gobsmacked as he also carried on to say how he had done this and done that . Needless to say i was getting annoyed at the dribble he was coming out with along with the fact that he was a guest on the ground and was being nothing but bad mannered . Anyway a shake of hands with the nieghbour /walker and a promise of a visit to clarify what needs doing and to get the paperwork sorted would happen over the next few days .
    Once the walker /nieghbour was out of site i felt the need to tell my friend what a w-nk-r he was but refrained and headed straight back to the truck not even discussing the issue , once back at the truck he asked what was wrong all i could do was to shake my head in disbelief.
    Is it just me who feels that to try and take anothers opportunity of shooting further ground whilst being a guest on the ground you are on is BAD MANNERS or is that the done thing . Needless to say the friend will not be shooting on any of my ground again nore will i be his mentor for a proposed C/F application
    How very unfortunate, I hope that it does not deter you from introducing other novices to the sport. atb Tim

You should have told your friend right away that he's bang out of order,whether he knows it's right or not
    If an argument comes of it and you lose said "friend" then so be it
    Reverse it on him and ask how he would feel if you did similar to him
    IMO he's no friend

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports