Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what defines who deserves a "blue badge"?

Account Suspended

So what defines who deserves a "blue badge"?

We've had a fair few threads on here declaring verying degrees of indignation at benefit cheats and scroungers of all sorts. I've never joined in on those threads but as a self employed person running my own business I really do share most peoples irritation at the won't work but will claim brigade.

Now, I don't want to be misunderstood here. I really do think it is a wonderful thing that in our country we try to take care of those who can't take care of themselves. In fact, it's one of the many things that makes me proud to be British (and yes I did say "British", as I'm no fan of Maximum Eck Salmond and his oil-pipe dreams) Having said that I am, of course, devoutly Scottish too but I digress.

Here's the thing. There's a couple who live near here who have a "blue badge" (invalid sticker) on their car windsreen, in the husband's name and this perplexes me. The man is retired RAF and I do know that he was quite seriously ill years ago and I really would have thought little about the situation but for the fact that I also know he is now very able bodied indeed and that is what perplexes me.

This man can hand-clip his flock of pet sheep, he can man-handle hay bales onto trailers and cart them off the hay field then build them in his sheds at haytime, then carry them back out all winter long to feed his sheep. Indeed he can do all the necessary physical work on his small holding, without any obvious impedimnet and seems every bit the fit and able 50 something. I've also learned today that not only can he ride his old motor cycles, that he so proud of, he is even able to compete in off road motor cycle trials.

So, given the above, what do you think would properly qualify him for a "blue badge"?

Or, like me, do you think he might be "at it" because, to my mind, he is no invalid by any reasonable definition of the term.

I have to admit the truth is I don't know what it takes to be classed as an "invalid" but I do know an awful lot of people who would never contemplate claiming to be an invalid and they are not as able bodied as the man I refer to. What do you think?

What do I think?
    I think you have a social and moral obligation to bubble him.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

There are probably thousands of people like that throughout the country,if it bothers you that much report him.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    What do I think?
    I think you have a social and moral obligation to bubble him.
    I won't do that until I know I wouldn't just be wasting my time and causing bother for no reason. In fact I will probably ask the man himself if he'll tell me why he has a blue badge, before I do anything else.

Some of the military types on here might also be able to tell if an ex RAF officer claims his benefits though the forces or through the local authorities. Incidentally, the ill health that he used to suffer from was not service related.

I really just need to understand if what I'm looking at here is what it seems, but not knowing the terms of reference I can only ask questions at this stage.

Can't speak for Lanarkshire, but these are the rules in Suffolk: http://www.suffolk.gov.uk/TransportA...adgeScheme.htm

I work for a well known retail company ( Very little helps ) if you get to look at the staff car park you will see a number of BLUE Badges.. all belonging to lorry drivers. I am suprised when i see them getting into work parking in the dissabled bays carring there large bags and walking 1/4 mile to the tramsport dept, then they drive 40ton wagons all over the south ( none of wich are converted for dissabled drivers). WHY HAVE THEY BLUE BADGES ????

STEVE.........

I used to get wound up at this stuff too but someone pointed out to me that unless it is causing direct hardship to others, is it really worth getting stressed over?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    I won't do that until I know I wouldn't just be wasting my time and causing bother for no reason. In fact I will probably ask the man himself if he'll tell me why he has a blue badge, before I do anything else.

Some of the military types on here might also be able to tell if an ex RAF officer claims his benefits though the forces or through the local authorities. Incidentally, the ill health that he used to suffer from was not service related.

I really just need to understand if what I'm looking at here is what it seems, but not knowing the terms of reference I can only ask questions at this stage.
    I tell you I no of at least five different people who are claiming "disability" one being my brother in law who has kids and a wife he is just to lazy to go to work he supposedly suffer from "dizzy spells" but works on the trawlers during cockle season and earns 1500 a week that's nearly what I take home in a month but it all came crashing down on him recently when the dss investigation team came after him they were watching him for around six months and is now in big trouble got his bank details as he was paid by cheque so is all there to see I hope they throw the book at him the best of it is his own sister grassed him up after he borrowed a lot of money off her and said he could not afford to pay it back this is when he was working, morel of the story is the benefits people will act on info if they no but can't if no one grasses

To be fair its a rock and a hard place isnt it.
    If you bubble him you know he's going to get grief yet if you dont you know you're going to be pi55ed off he's unjustifiably getting something we're all paying for .
    Some people will always screw the system, others wouldnt think to claim for something unless it was totally justified.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I don't worry too much about people having blue badges - until they park their cars in loading bays for delivery drivers (blue badge does NOT allow it). At that point, I quite happily inform the nearest traffic warden or police officer and get them ticketed.