One scope for multiple rifles/calibres???

Oly

I have watched/read numerous accounts of people swapping day scopes to NV and back again with no change in POI such as this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z2vN0c8O4s&feature=plcp&context=C3f3dd1cUDOEgsToPDskL95SQdZXInnlebAV8NMW6r

As such, why not just fit rails to all calibres/rifles and simply use one scope for them all? With a decent variable power repeatable scope it should be easy enough to simply reset the elevation/windage to the appropriate calibre and set the magnification accordingly too?

I have watched/read numerous accounts of people swapping day scopes to NV and back again with no change in POI such as this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z2vN0c8O4s&feature=plcp&context=C3f3dd1cUDOEgsToPDskL95SQdZXInnlebAV8NMW6r

As such, why not just fit rails to all calibres/rifles and simply use one scope for them all? With a decent variable power repeatable scope it should be easy enough to simply reset the elevation/windage to the appropriate calibre and set the magnification accordingly too?

My mate uses quick release mounts similar to the leupold ones but made in this country he has them on all his rifles so he can just change them when he wants with basicly no zero shift also makes it much safer to transport scopes etc he always check poi before using on any quarry does the job well

Been useing Leupold quick release for over 10 years with no problems simply make a rail with lugs for the NV unit works atreat over bait and then swap back to lamp on the way home.Check Leupold make the bases for your rifle fist as they don't do them for all makes but any good gunsmith will alter the ones available as i have had done for my T3 and CZ.

My mate uses quick release mounts similar to the leupold ones but made in this country he has them on all his rifles so he can just change them when he wants with basicly no zero shift also makes it much safer to transport scopes etc he always check poi before using on any quarry does the job well

Do you know what make they are and where did he buy them from?

I am in the process of trying to mount my swarovski Z5 BT (Ballistic Turret) on both my Sauer 90 .308 and my Howa .338 with Apel/EAW mounts and rings

Three problems i've come across so far

1. The mounting points on the two rifles I had were in different places. So in order to have the scope fit both I had to have the Howa drilled and tapped with new mounting points - not cheap !

2. Most rifles of a different make have different profiles where you place the scope. This means even if you have the correct mounts for the correct rifles you may need different spacers within the rings to make them fit. So i ended up packing the mounts with spaces on my Howa to raise the scope rather than using the spacer provided because that meant the scope was under tension when on the Sauer

3. The other problem I'm aware of is that if the mounts aren't dead centre of the rifle bores I may have to adjust the windage for each rifle even though the BT would be set up for the different calibres and/or because the bullet may not exit the barrel at the same point in the barrels resonance the aim point may not be the same. Whilst elevation can be taken into account with the BT, again windage may have to be adjusted. Not insurmountable, but a pain in the arse to remember each time :eek:/

So my advise - buy the same make of rifle or rifles with the same profile and the process should be less problematic

ATB

Scrun

Scrun.

Have you thought of fitting a rail?

I bought one 20moa for each of my CF from Third eye tactical and found that the centre line is now the same on both.
If you speak to them they will normally be able to help you out with custom drilling of the rail if it is required.

@scrun63
I think I'm with Cooter on this... Third Eye Tact get good reviews and you're effectively buying a matched pair in their rails and mounts.

I spent a lot of time... and money, finding a well-fitting pair of QR mounts for a Blaser Picatinny rail... went through ARMS, Badgers, Nightforce, Burris and ended up with a pair of Brugger & Thomets via GMK (Excellent mounts but beware.. they come in singles not pairs).

And then I took the pic rail off the barrel to find the standard Saddlemount mounting holes already there, so I now use a Saddlemount on it.

Not keen on Apels... some love 'em, some 'ate 'em & I'm one of those. Mistake1: Bought a s/h PM2 with a pair fitted only to take 'em off to find the tube was crimped. Mistake2: Sent back to S&B for a new tube thinking they were as good as Swarovski on stuff like that only to get charged over £450 for the privilege!! :evil:

That's me,
atb

FBW

Some interesting points there Scrun that I hadn't considered previously. Although I do already have two rifles of the same model, just different calibres...and they also have exactly the same scope and mounts on too!! I like consistency!!

Scrun.

Have you thought of fitting a rail?

I bought one 20moa for each of my CF from Third eye tactical and found that the centre line is now the same on both.
If you speak to them they will normally be able to help you out with custom drilling of the rail if it is required.

It might have been a good idea, but the Sauer came fully equipped with QR Apels and i thought (stupidly) that it'd be a good way to halve the cost of my scope by using it on two rifles - instead of having to buy another. Instead I ended up spending silly money on Apel QR bases and having the mount points tapped etc and then i'm having to try and MAKE it work :confused:. As i said in a previous thread, "one lives and learns", but ain't it fun :D

atb

Scrun

Do you know what make they are and where did he buy them from?

Thats what i use. I've shot with them attached to my sauer, taken the scope off. The next week I reattached the scope and there it was clover leafing in the bull again - true back to zero scope mounts. I may complain about the cost, but they're bloody good and you only get what you pay for !

atb

Scrun

Some interesting points there Scrun that I hadn't considered previously. Although I do already have two rifles of the same model, just different calibres...and they also have exactly the same scope and mounts on too!! I like consistency!!

if only I was that sensible - but life would be no fun then :cuckoo:

atb

Scrun

Back