Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discovery 3 and suspended gralloch setup

Discovery 3 and suspended gralloch setup

Hi all
    I've got to setup my Disco 3 for suspended gralloch, and then carcass recovery.
    Only prob is, my Disco is one of the last 3's, and it's mint in and out!! I would kinda like to keep it that way!! Unfortunately, this particular estate insists on me using it.
    I would love and invite thoughts on how best to set up a rig, and any advice if there are suitable accessories out there!!
    TIA
    jono

Not sure what weight deer you are dealimg with (e.g. titchy Roe or thumping great Reds) but you could make use of one of the various towhitch mounted 'gallows' like the industrial grade one with a boat winch made by Dave Stretton or the lightweight German one made by Mannser. That would deal with the suspended gralloch, then you could fit one of the towhitch mounted baskets like the ones sold by JMS - big enough for a decent carcass or two. You could then avoid having any bodies in the truck at all, but if you do need to use the inside, half of one of those white plastic cubes found on farms makes an excellent mess-free carcass tray that fits well in a Disco' - just keep the back and sides tall enough to avoid splashes on carpets etc.

The above assumes you have a towhitch fitted...

with the 3 its hard because you would want the back opened up which would get in the way of a hitch mounted hoist system. when i have used my 3 in the past i have used trees to hoist the deer up with a pocket rope self locking hoist. i carry a selection of gambrels to suit the deer and a selection of S hooks and other kit to secure it to tree branches etc. As far as the carcass tray is concerned i use the larger sled type with the rope handles around the sides that you can secure a drag rope to for retrieval. They have high sides to keep the car clean, and they are also sold with a fly proof cover that can be used to keep eyes off your cargo as well as the meat in good condition.
    Hope that helps.

Light weight trailer with gallows set up!

My mate uses these to items if I remember correctly does the job

Carcase Handling Systems | Donington Deer Management

JMS Arms - Heck-Pack Game Transporters

If you had a roof rack/bars could you not rig something up that allows you to work on the deer from the nearside of the vehicle allowing access to the boot etc. ?
    A tarp could be hung from the roof rack/bars protecting the side of your disco.
    Just a thought
    ATB

Thanks everyone to your very useful comments.
    I think some sort of towbar Gambrel could be really useful, not just for the Disco, but for Kubota / quad etc. If the towbar attachment was slightly longer, ie further out from the towbar, it would at least allow me to have the lower part of the tailgate down, with the top part closed. I could complete my carcass, load into a tray, and then hoist one end of the tray high enough with the winch, so I could push onto the lower tailgate.
    Any info on boxes / trays would ge great too...
    Thanks again everyone, I'll post a pic of the system when it's done.
    Cheers
    Jono

You could try this guy his products are first class and prices are very competitive Keith Watson 01922 722988, http://www.keithshighseats.co.uk.

Quote Originally Posted by kickon View Post
    Thanks everyone to your very useful comments.
    I think some sort of towbar Gambrel could be really useful, not just for the Disco, but for Kubota / quad etc. If the towbar attachment was slightly longer, ie further out from the towbar, it would at least allow me to have the lower part of the tailgate down, with the top part closed. I could complete my carcass, load into a tray, and then hoist one end of the tray high enough with the winch, so I could push onto the lower tailgate.
    Any info on boxes / trays would ge great too...
    Thanks again everyone, I'll post a pic of the system when it's done.
    Cheers
    Jono
    He uses a plasterers bath apparently travis perking had them for 20 not that long ago apparently same as this one basically Site Tanks,, Plasterers Bath, water tanks,storage tanks,baffled water tanks,car valeting,window cleaning supplies equipment,plastic water storage

what i use

hello like someone said before me try using a i b c they are white cubes in a metal case i only shoot roe but whenever i go out its in the back of my mondeo estate i also have a wire tray that sits pefectly in it lets the air flow around the carcass every one that sees it says how simple the idea is so if its pigeons to roe they all ride in style with me stu