Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Marlin 1895 SBL

  1. #1

    Marlin 1895 SBL

    Hi all

    I'm thinking of getting a Marlin 1895 SBL in 45-70 as my new plaything. Has anyone got one and could you tell me what your opinions are of this under lever.
    Will be used for playing on the range and if funds allow a bit of piggy bashing. Love the styling but does it shoot as good as it looks.

    Cheers
    Keith

  2. #2
    I have one, bought for driven boar

    Details here:

    45 calibre for Boar - Page 2

    Load details here:

    .45-70 Loads for Boar

    I'm planning to do a bit more load development with it this year as it was a bit of a hurry getting it put together or Croatia last year.

  3. #3
    The Marlin in 45-70 is a great rifle but and here is a big BUT! Try and buy a used Marlin with JM stamped on the barrel as the new Remlin ones are substandard and a lot have had to be recalled to the factory due to poor manufacturing and quality control.http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/.

    And yes i do have a JM Marlin and love it,

    Bob

  4. #4
    Have heard that the new ones can be tempremental again has anyone had any problems with their Marlin whatever the calibre. If you have what has been the outcome? I have a .44 Marlin 1894S that I bought second hand and never had any trouble with it has got LP over a 97 on the barrel

  5. #5
    Also meant to ask who you might recommend to buy one of the SBL's from?

  6. #6
    I have 3 marlins and bought them all from Roger at South Yorkshire Shooting. 1894s are usually easy to get but I waited a year for my 1895SBL... Not South Yorks fault, just the usual lack of coordination between marlin and Edgar bros.... A common problem with uk importers it seems...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by KEITHKILVO1 View Post
    Have heard that the new ones can be tempremental again has anyone had any problems with their Marlin whatever the calibre. If you have what has been the outcome? I have a .44 Marlin 1894S that I bought second hand and never had any trouble with it has got LP over a 97 on the barrel
    The LP & 97 on yours are the London Proof marks...

    The JM stamped on the barrel that reiver mentioned is the in-house proof mark at the Marlin factory, or should I say...the previous factory.
    As has been said - LOTS of problems with the newer production ones - as none of the staff moved to the new factory, just the machinery!

    ...and folk wonder why some of the products from the USA, with some companies being led more by lawyers than engineers/shooters, either don't work or don't sell

  8. #8
    Have now found the marks on the .44 and its a goodun has got JM in an oval on the left of barrel, thanks for the help
    Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    The LP & 97 on yours are the London Proof marks...

    The JM stamped on the barrel that reiver mentioned is the in-house proof mark at the Marlin factory, or should I say...the previous factory.
    As has been said - LOTS of problems with the newer production ones - as none of the staff moved to the new factory, just the machinery!

    ...and folk wonder why some of the products from the USA, with some companies being led more by lawyers than engineers/shooters, either don't work or don't sell

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    I have 3 marlins and bought them all from Roger at South Yorkshire Shooting. 1894s are usually easy to get but I waited a year for my 1895SBL... Not South Yorks fault, just the usual lack of coordination between marlin and Edgar bros.... A common problem with uk importers it seems...
    Will send them an email to see about availability....cheers

  10. #10
    Nothing wrong with any of the Marlin 45 / 470 Government, stain less guide guns, Just finding a scope to survive on top of one!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* Marlin 795TB .22LR
    By gaza916 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2012, 20:36
  2. Wanted 45-70 Marlin
    By harrygrey382 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-09-2011, 06:04
  3. .450 Marlin?
    By Joshua in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 10:16
  4. Wanted Tuna and / Marlin off Majorca??
    By Daft Dog in forum Other Sporting Opportunties
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 08:59
  5. Wanted Marlin 45 / 70 ?
    By finnbear270 in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-04-2010, 08:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •