Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New scope zeroed in 3 shots

England, a large country south of the Scottish Border

New scope zeroed in 3 shots

Just had delivered an S & B 2.5-10X56 and fitted it to my fox rifle.

I boresighted first at 25 yds, sent a shot and it was 1/4" off bull, second shot at 100 yards was 4" high, 3rd shot after adjustment 1/2 high dead centre at 100 yds.

I have never set up a scope in just 3 shots before, awsome bit of kit the S & B

Sighting in

I get my kit in just under a months time - including an S&B scope, its going to be the slowest month of my life!

I keep changing my mind from fixed to variable scopes, what made you decide on a variable?

Daemon

Fixed - 6x42 - simple, light and a very good all rounder. Low enough power for close range stuff but enough power to take a fox at 200 yds, and you could probably take one a bit further. Deer are a big enough target that a fixed 6 power IMHO is more than enough out to 200 or 250 yds adn would not want to take a shot at anything more than 200 yds in any case.

If all my stalking was woodland then a 4x32 is also very good. If it was all open ground or hill ground or more for fox then an 8x56.

A fixed scope is half the price of a variable approximately.

But a variable does give you more flexibility.

2.5 - 10 - Low power would be useful for close range sanp shooting at running game - eg Driven Boar.

10 power would be useful for sniping rabbits and other varmints at longer ranges

I have fixed 6 power on both my 22rf and 243. I possibly will change the scope on the 22rf for a variable with 10 power top end. Would probably use the lower power more for close range bunny shooting.

My next rifle will be a 30-06 or 7x64 for bigger game. Will probably go for a 1.5 to 6 x 42 scope so that it usable on both Wild boar plus on the hill.

Most people I know who have a variable keep them on just one power.

Heym

The reason i bought a fixed over a variable was:
    A. I could not afford a decent variable, so I ploughed what cash I had into the best peice of 'glass' I could afford ( S+B 8x56 )
    B. I found I was shooting the estate rifle which had a variable on 8x and not adjusting it.

This is only a personal choice, but I have taken foxes out to 250m at night with it so I am happy with my choice.

Jonathon

I have a Ziess variable on my Heym single shot. Its not been of 6 power in 30 years. Bought a S&B 3-12x50 FD for the new Mauser. its a great bit of kit. When i shoot driven game i turn the scope down to 4 and the FD to the lowest daylight power =no7. The FD really concentrates the eye on the point of aim. Great for shooting the running moose range as well.

England, a large country south of the Scottish Border
    As has been said, the variable is good for turning down for close range work, its good for long range daylight on max power, but it will normally be left on 8 power.

The real benefit to me is that when I am testing reloads I dont have to keep walking back & forward to the target (lazy bugger you see)

I had a hell of a deal on this scope, if I'd missed it I would have bought a S/H 3-12X50 and failing that an 8X56

Where was your deal from? I'm keen for that sort of scope to upgrade my Swaro 6x42.

Quote Originally Posted by buck52 View Post
    I have never set up a scope in just 3 shots before, awsome bit of kit the S & B
    Well done. More conservative of ammunition than many people achieve while zeroing, but still no cigar. It can be done with one round only. Boresight. Shoot a round. Without moving rifle, adjust crosshairs to cover the hole. Job done.
    KevinF -

Quote Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
    Well done. More conservative of ammunition than many people achieve while zeroing, but still no cigar. It can be done with one round only. Boresight. Shoot a round. Without moving rifle, adjust crosshairs to cover the hole. Job done.
    Surely this is only possible with the rifle clamped into a benchrest?
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Not clamped, but it does have to be rested in such a way that you can adjust the scope without the rifle moving. Bipod and a box under the butt will do, think.

Boresight with the rifle resting as above, hold it normally to shoot the round. Then set it up resting again with the crosshair on the aiming mark, and without moving the rifle adjust crosshair so that it is on the bullet-hole.

That is the theory, in any case!