Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pound coin on the press ram

pound coin on the press ram

Hi All,

I was talking to a fellow SD member on Sunday and we were discussing the little quirks that we do to try and ensure consistency and repeatability in our reloads. One of the things we were talking about was placing a pound coin on the ram to make sure the die is square (ish) ine its thread in the press.
    I have never met anyone else who does this and thought i was the only one (I actually have a flat s/s shim that I use but it's like a pound coin)

Do any of you do this as well?
    what other little steps do you do (other than the usual required steps)?

Ezzy

I know a well known gunsmith who im sure everyone would know on here he does similar using a thick piece of tubular steel.

Quote Originally Posted by ezzy6.5 View Post
    Hi All,

I was talking to a fellow SD member on Sunday and we were discussing the little quirks that we do to try and ensure consistency and repeatability in our reloads. One of the things we were talking about was placing a pound coin on the ram to make sure the die is square (ish) ine its thread in the press.
    I have never met anyone else who does this and thought i was the only one (I actually have a flat s/s shim that I use but it's like a pound coin)

Do any of you do this as well?
    what other little steps do you do (other than the usual required steps)?

Ezzy
    I've never thought to do this but next time I do some loads I'll try it. atb Tim

Actually I have never found dies not being aligned to be a problem. Sometimes I wonder if some go looking for problems that are not problems at all.

Account Suspended
    I must be being thick here.

What can you do about it, apart from maybe taking the press or die back to the retailer, if you did find something was a bit squiffy?

And... I'm not convinced that using a coin will show much up that not using a coin would show up anyway.

So, how is this all supposed to work?

Please explain.

A coin, really, you think that is flatter than a shell holder ?

Neil.

SD Regular
    One of the things we were talking about was placing a pound coin on the ram to make sure the die is square (ish) ine its thread in the press.
    Oh my gosh! Used to do THAT ten years ago, before the CONSERVATIVE GOVERNMENT pistol ban with a flat washer to give the advised "air gap" between carbide sizing dies and the top of the shellholder.

Never done it, however, on rifle dies as I always totally full length size and screw the sizing die down until it contacts the top of the shellholder. Then screw the lock ring down and lock the lock ring to the die. So that when removed and replaced it is always the exact same position and alignment. I use exclusively RCBS.

So in a way it has the same "squaring up" effect.

So, yes, I do think that there is merit in your idea

How it works is that you assume three things:

1) That the top of the shellholder is square to the perpendicular of the stroke of the ram.

2) That the bottom of the sizing die is square to the perpendicular of the axis of the hole drilled up said sizing die that sizes the case.

3) That the shelholder recess in the ram is machined perfectly.

Thus assuming 1) and 2) that means that a perpendicular line drawn up the axis of the ram and up the axis of the hole in the sizing die will now be one straight line.

A bit like those lines on a computer printer set-up page where you pick the one that looks like one single continuous vertical line.

Now with RCBS you can take 1) and 2) as a given. With some of the crappy shellholders and presses I've seen I doubt it!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 13-02-2012 at 22:28.

Don't Lee use O rings on the lock ring to compensate for any deviance?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

They do, and Bonanza (Forrester) uses NO threads to hold their dies. They are somewhat loose in their mooring being held in place by the special lock rings. This allows for the die to align itself with the cartridge. Lee's lock rings, if not overtightened, will do the same. Frankly, there is enough give in the shell holder to compensate for slight alignment error.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    A coin, really, you think that is flatter than a shell holder ?

Neil.

Like I said, I actually use a s/s shim not a coin. It's been on the surface grinder so its pretty flat and square.