A step in time.

Basil : Far worse off than we are now ,due to the fact that we are letting pen pushers dictate, how and what we must do to progress, with a pastime that has been around far longer than most of them, they seem to have the attitude of its my ball and I'm not playing unless you do it my way .

We now have qualifications for qualifications . Nscc, now Dsc 1&2 why the change ??

Where as before someone would ask you if you wanted a day out ,if you liked it you asked how to get started, like an apprenticeship you approched farmers and landowners for ground , this has changed you now approch a farmer, landowner there standing there with there hand out, waiting for you to cross there palm with a load of cash , laying down the law of what ,where and when ,the forestry commission over the back .

In the last 20 years there have been vast changes the next 20 could see you looking at no qualifications no FAC .

Just as happens in germany Qualifications (Jadgschein ) then Firearms permit (waffenbesitzkarte)

Deer will still need managing, public/government scrutiny will no doubt increase.

Kit will be improved, we might just do it via satelite and pc :eek:

I'm an optomist, I think it'll be fine :p

I hope you are right bambislayer, but it will be interesting to see where the DI takes it over the next few years this side of the boarder.

Also the way the DCS are heading I fear for scottish stalkers and there way of life in general.

Max

Agreed. And if we can't control deer numbers properly for ourselves now, watch out the for DI becoming the DC for England and Wales with full statutory powers. You only have to look at whats going on up north to see what that will mean.

When i look back to when i started stalking in the 60's it was just as widows son said. You can,t blame those poor farmer for wanting to make a bob or two :)
Deer stalking like many other things follows the obsession with health and safety. risk assessments etc,etc in the world in general.
I can well see a compulsory stalking test. If stalkers have to take this will other forms of hunting, shooting have to do a test?

But there is good news for the stalkers in England in the next 20 years.
Wild Boar if they spread like they have done here in Sweden in the last 20 years will give the stalker plenty of sport.
If farmers think they have damage problems with deer they ain't seen nothing yet. Once there are 1500 RTA's every year like we have ( up 50% last year) it will be hard for the police to say that there are no boar.

I think i started stalking at the right time and saw the best of it :D .

Jagare said:
Wild Boar if they spread like they have done here in Sweden in the last 20 years will give the stalker plenty of sport.
If farmers think they have damage problems with deer they ain't seen nothing yet. Once there are 1500 RTA's every year like we have ( up 50% last year) it will be hard for the police to say that there are no boar.

Your right about the damage they do Jagare, I was suprised by the amount when I went with Blaser3006.

Jonathon

Few things to be learned from sweden, not just the boar problem,i live in the scottish borders where they are talking of releasing beavers (fair chance they all ready have) they did the same in sweden not so long ago and now they are concidered a pest (help me out here JAGARE)

Jagare said:
When i look back to when i started stalking in the 60's it was just as widows son said. You can,t blame those poor farmer for wanting to make a bob or two :)
Deer stalking like many other things follows the obsession with health and safety. risk assessments etc,etc in the world in general.
I can well see a compulsory stalking test. If stalkers have to take this will other forms of hunting, shooting have to do a test?

I think i started stalking at the right time and saw the best of it :D .

All I see in the replies is how you hope it will be, not how it lis likely to be.

1, Admin, government will cap firearms certs as there will be too many in public ownership. If you have managed to qualify to shoot a deer about £5,000 (only BDS members) you will have to collect rifle from an armoury and sign for it each stalk. Dont laugh it applies to target shooters already.

2,Permissions, your having a laugh, we have 60,000,000 people now in 20 years it will be 100,000,000 (eastern europe will be empty by then), stalking land will be miniscule, south downs is about to turn into a national park with visitor centres etc. You may have the right to shoot , but being able to do it "without endangering the public safety or peace" some chance.

3. Boar will be like foxes, live in the suburbs, fed by furry lovers, dont model the UK like Germany or Sweden, they have a land mass about 10 times ours with far less people. Scotland and the hills may have some wilderness but where do you think the 100,000,000 will go for recreation. You wont be able to put your scope to your eyes without seeing a picnic bench in it.

4. MI5 will have bumped off Hugh Fearnly-Wittingstall and all of a sudden a dangerous pathogen will be found in game meat (flavour) and all those that partake will not qualify for NHS treatment, slowly killing us off, all part of the government "problem" of people that want to eat what they shoot.

Now I have really upset myself I am packing my bags and moving in with Jagare.

Doghound, You have nearly missed the hunting season this year :cry: finishes next weekend. Have put a double bed over in the other house for you though :) .
Nell, we have beaver in sweden. A healthy population and they are hunted. I know they do do a fair bit of damage to the trees where they live but Never heard them called a pest. We don't have pest species in Sweden. We only have worthy huntable animals ;) Even the Fox and Badger are a prized quarry.
We have twice the land mass of the UK and 9 million people so there is plenty of room to go around.
It would be a big mistake to release any more non native species into the UK . They reintroduced the wolf in sweden. They forgot to ask the people who live in these wolf affected areas. Now the excrement is hitting ventilation system and even the Swedish Kennel club is pushing for a cull.
Thinking about how the Boar has spread here in Sweden with it cold winters , coniferous forests and not so wide spread agriculture I can well see an explosion in the boar numbers in the UK . The UK has a milder climate, hard wood and more wide spread agriculture.
Wait till those little piggies get into town and people wake up to find there lawn ploughed, RTA's and there little would'nt hurt anything dog that chases deer when out for a walkies comes back slashed by a boar :lol: .
Don't forget to join the BBS (British Boar Society) when it gets going. It will be a charity for the well being of boar. The will run courses "Bsc" that will need constant up dateing but the fees for the tests will be resonable :rolleyes:

Back