Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: case cleaning help

case cleaning help

Hi all

As per title I would like some advice on case cleaning

I am just about to try my very first reload. I have 50 cases that have been fired once and need cleaning first but I have heard so many diff things that I don't no what to do anymore.

some say don't use brasso some say do what I have heard the most is a very fine wirewool so if the guru loaders could point me in the correct direction I would be very grateful.

Regards
    Craig
    “Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.”
    ― Criss Jami

bit of brasso is fine in my book, ive nerver had any problems with it, cases come up like new with a light rub and leave for ten minutes then buff off, cheapest way if you only re-loading small amounts

I use a tumbler cleaner with corn cob media, clean before sizing to remove any soil/abrasive particles and again after sizing to remove lube residues. atb Tim

I would be more concerned with cleaning the inside of the brass first tumble cleaning seems to be the best.

Put a shell holder in a cordless screw driver and use 0000 wire wool on the outside of the case. Use a primer pocket cleaner and a clean nylon bore brush of the correct calibre on the inside of the case necks. Then you are good to go. Carbon inside the case body doesn't really matter - some top benchrest shooters use the same case for a 20+ shot match, reloading at the range without cleaning the cases...
    Its an opinion, hope it helps...

Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    Put a shell holder in a cordless screw driver and use 0000 wire wool on the outside of the case. Use a primer pocket cleaner and a clean nylon bore brush of the correct calibre on the inside of the case necks. Then you are good to go. Carbon inside the case body doesn't really matter - some top benchrest shooters use the same case for a 20+ shot match, reloading at the range without cleaning the cases...
    Its an opinion, hope it helps...
    rather than use wire wool I use these, less chance of destructive remnants.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Thanks, I'll give them a try...

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    rather than use wire wool I use these, less chance of destructive remnants.
    Most definately the correct way to go.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Hi all

Thank you all so much for the replys and info. in the end after much research I got a ultra sonic cleaner from maplans and some sea clean solution.

I have to say I am very impressed with the out come of a 5 min clean the brass looks like new so much so that after speaking to bob (bobjs) who is none by many on this forum that I have to pick him one up now.

but thank you all
    regards
    Craig
    “Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.”
    ― Criss Jami

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Hi all

Thank you all so much for the replys and info. in the end after much research I got a ultra sonic cleaner from maplans and some sea clean solution.

I have to say I am very impressed with the out come of a 5 min clean the brass looks like new so much so that after speaking to bob (bobjs) who is none by many on this forum that I have to pick him one up now.

but thank you all
    regards
    Craig
    Any chance of a before and after picture Craig ? Is the cleaning solution safe to use with rifle brass ?