Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what calibre next ?

what calibre next ?

Rite then got the FEO coming around in a couple of weeks, I recently passed my DSC1 and want deer (munty and cwd) put onto my 22/250. I've also fitted a larger gun cabinate so thought while he was visiting I would put in for another calibre for larger deer and possibly wild boar. Now I live very close to the port of Dover and its only a few hours to pop over to France if I fancy shooting Boar there. So my choices seem to be .270 30-06 or .308. I assume any of these are ok to take to Europe. The other thing to consider is ammo, as I will probably not reload and use factory stuff so good factory ammo availabilaty is a must. At the moment I'm leaning towards the .308 .Any input greatfuly received

not sure 308 is legal in france !!
    atb steve

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    not sure 308 is legal in france !!
    atb steve
    Or 30-06, both military calibre's....
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun22/250 View Post
    So my choices seem to be .270 30-06 or .308. I assume any of these are ok to take to Europe.
    My understanding is that the French do not allow the use of cartridges which are or have been in military service. That being the case, your assumption is not correct - the only one which is OK for France (which is part, but not all, of Europe) would be the .270. Which would certainly do, being nothing more than the US version of the venerable 7x64 which is AFAIK widely-used in France for boar.
    Last edited by Dalua; 13-02-2012 at 22:00.

Im no expert but i dont think you can shoot NATO calibres in France. which would rule out .308 and possibly .30-06?

As for calibres.. well theres a lot out there to choose from, ive only had experience of .308 so cant help.. im sure theres plenty here who can though.

I had something in the back of my head about some calibres not being legal in France. Perhaps I should leave France out of the equasion for the minute as it was only a thought as its probably closer to nip over the water than head up country. So lets stick to UK use.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun22/250 View Post
    I had something in the back of my head about some calibres not being legal in France. Perhaps I should leave France out of the equasion for the minute as it was only a thought as its probably closer to nip over the water than head up country. So lets stick to UK use.
    .270?

.270 is a good all round caliber. Used it for Roe and muntjac and as mentioned previously you can load heavier bullet weights for boar.

.270 would fit the bill nicely. If you want heavier bullets for boar on drives and you handload you could use nosler 160 gr or woodleigh 180 gr. Not that you would neccessarily need those heavyweights, plenty of elk are cleanly taken with 150 gr bullets here in the States.

As has been mentioned, I can say for certain, - no military calibres for rifle may be used in France.
    Not even allowed to be carried through France. This includes old and new miltary calibres and is not restricted to just NATO calibres.
    Therefore, .308 & .30-06 are most certainly not permitted in France.
    Cheers,
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!