Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Ferals

American Ferals

Here are some ferals my brothers and I have shot in the last few years in the States. Some look European, but I would think they woud be considered feral because they are descended from captive bred European boar that have been released in many places throughout the south to "enrich" the local game. A practice that is illegal and has led to the problem we have with feral hogs in the U.S. Two are from southern Missouri froma a few years ago, where there is a year round open season on feral hogs. The other two are from Tennessee. Hunting was spot and stalk for the most part, the big spotty one was pursued with dogs. Rifles used were Marlin 336 in .30-30, Ruger Hawkeye in .375 ruger, H&R handirifle in .45-70 and Savage 110 in .270 win. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boar.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	12689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brandon boar 2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	12690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brandon hog 3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	12691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marc hog.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	12692

As you can see we probably don't hunt with quite the same class as European hunters and those from the UK, but it is always a good time to share with friends and family.

Some big hogs. Hunting with dogs in the UK is banned. We have imported vermin in the UK from the states. Slightly smaller than the European imports you have. Grey Squirrel and Mink.
    It's accuracy that kills.

hope they taste as good as they look!

You are very lucky over there boys,but we are catching up over here in some areas.

M

Thanks everyone. They were alot of fun to hunt. I'm glad you folks in the uk are getting a growing boar population again. When did they go extinct in the uk?
    Most states with feral populations want to get rid of them altogether. Missouri allows any method including trapping or poisoning. Texas is the same. Most states encourage a shoot on sight policy. Some of the southern states have regulated seasons because they've had ferals since the spaniards settled.
    Hog hunters in the u.s. Have a redneck stigma.
    Are squirrel and mink hunted in the UK? Some eat squirrel here, but there is also a redneck stigma attached to that practice. I myself enjoy squirrel meat, but no longer hunt them since I've married. My wife doesn't like me hunting "cute" things.

Squirrel are shot and eaten over here, and there is no bag limit or closed season, unlike the US. Mink are also killed over here.

nothing wrong with red neck stigma!

I agree Boarboy.
    My wife is from Chicago, a place where gun ownership and hunting are seen as the height of ignorant traditions. For the most part, hunting talk is a great way to start a conversation in most places here. Closer you are to a big city though, the more likely you are to get preached at by a student or trust fund kid who has alot of ignorant notions about hunting. When I mention I've eaten raccoon, they can hardly mask their judgement.

YEs. I Personally like the whole living off the land thing which is why im much more into my rifleshooting, deer in the freezer etc as opposed to a big driven pheasant day for example- turn up, kill a load of birds, drive home and perhaps not even touching what youve shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by trapdoortrapper View Post
    I agree Boarboy.
    My wife is from Chicago, a place where gun ownership and hunting are seen as the height of ignorant traditions. For the most part, hunting talk is a great way to start a conversation in most places here. Closer you are to a big city though, the more likely you are to get preached at by a student or trust fund kid who has alot of ignorant notions about hunting. When I mention I've eaten raccoon, they can hardly mask their judgement.