Thread: Advice please on gun stock damage

Advice please on gun stock damage

Hi i have got a browning x bolt with wood stock .the stock has a Lacquerd finish i have a few marks on the stock niot deep and not big is they any way to cover these or is strip and start again .

any help ????????

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    hi bud

in the past i used nitromors to remove the stack coating on a few cz rifles, then i steam the dinks out with a steam iron and a wet cloth, rub it down and i used wax oil, as im crap with the truoil stuff.

all worked out fine, but remember that if you go to hard at it, you can't replace wood, so go slow and with a fine paper/wire wool.

or if you would rather someone else do it, the is a bloke on the pigeon watch that has done some fantastic jobs.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

to add to the advice above a little:

After stripping the varnish/lacquer & raising the dents, I also dampen the stock a little to raise the "feathers": these can then be removed with the finest steel or bronze wool you can find

For finishes, I alternate between boiled linseed oil or some of the commercially available English Walnut Stock Oil.
    The trick for these is to rub them in until your hand is quite warm, bordering hot, from the friction - as this means that the stock is also warmed up & the pores are more open to the oil
    It's then a case of regular application of the oil to keep the stock looking good

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    to add to the advice above a little:

After stripping the varnish/lacquer & raising the dents, I also dampen the stock a little to raise the "feathers": these can then be removed with the finest steel or bronze wool you can find

For finishes, I alternate between boiled linseed oil or some of the commercially available English Walnut Stock Oil.
    The trick for these is to rub them in until your hand is quite warm, bordering hot, from the friction - as this means that the stock is also warmed up & the pores are more open to the oil
    It's then a case of regular application of the oil to keep the stock looking good
    nice one, i forgot the warming way, i use a small hot water bottle with a cloth on it, or a small plastic pop bottle etc,

i also mask of the checkering with white masking tape etc to keep me away from hit it with the paper/wire,brass wool etc.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Steel wood can leave bits of the steel embedded which can they later leave rusting marks. I find that the scotch brite pads green or red work very well indeed. To lay down the raised fibres one can "Bone" the stock by rubbing a hard wood handle, originally they use Beef rib bones hence the term boning. I use a round wood handle of a "Suds" brush then wipe the stock down with the scotch brite pad. Leaves a smooth almost burnished appearance to the wood.

Oy yes if you want to use true oil it's also available in a spray can.

Interesting - but I reckon the g/f would seriously try to have me sectioned if I started using hot water bottles on my guns coz they were to cold!

As for the checkering - I have 2 approaches:
    1. Flood the area with nitromors & remove it with a stiff toothbrush - if the one you have is too soft shorten the bristles with a pair of scissors/craft knife
    2. Always work AWAY from the risk areas when rubbing down with steel wool/paper (like the old leatherwork rule - always cut AWAY from corners, etc.)

My personal rite of passage with any "new" gun I get - is to do the stock!
    Until then, it's not MINE....just me I suppose, but it started with a Rem 1100 that was varnished & well dented, but a nights work had it looking better than when it left Ilion..so I just carried on the practice

....have not had too much luck rubbing Linseed into the McMillan stock on my PSS though - maybe I need a rougher grade of steel wool?

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Steel wood can leave bits of the steel embedded which can they later leave rusting marks. I find that the scotch brite pads green or red work very well indeed. To lay down the raised fibres one can "Bone" the stock by rubbing a hard wood handle, originally they use Beef rib bones hence the term boning. I use a round wood handle of a "Suds" brush then wipe the stock down with the scotch brite pad. Leaves a smooth almost burnished appearance to the wood.

Oy yes if you want to use true oil it's also available in a spray can.
    I forgot about boning - I use a bone folder (which is not a new type of very blunt non-rusting knife, even though it sounds kime it could be!)

Not had any steel wool left in - as I only do the wool as the first stage. Use a lot of very very fine emery paper after this...so this must get the wool out.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    For boning boots I thought the preference had always been for deer bones: http://www.lissomandmuster.com/produ...Bone,+Red+Deer

So interesting to know if it would work on a stock as well as the beef bone?

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!