.260 Nearly There?!!

Herne

Aster growing frustrated at poor grouping with my custom .260 and after lots of advice from SD members - (Thanks Mr Dabbler Miligan and other .260 aficionado's)

I loaded up 3 rounds precison perfect, right on the lands and shot them, result - three touching holes at 125 yards!

Can't believe that OAL made such a difference! I was 80thou off with the standard Max. 2.785".

Upped it to the lands and an amazing result.

Loaded three more to try again.

H.

H.

Well done from another 260 Rem enthusiast. I read an article somewhere that suggested that moving the bullet by only 4 thou could have a dramatic effect on group size. Unfortunately I have lost the url.

Good luck with the next three and your DSC II.

Regards JCS

Thanks JCS,

Last day of the hinds tomorrow, no witness alas but we'll see what we can do.

Thanks for your advice also.

H.

H.

Well done from another 260 Rem enthusiast. I read an article somewhere that suggested that moving the bullet by only 4 thou could have a dramatic effect on group size. Unfortunately I have lost the url.

Good luck with the next three and your DSC II.

Regards JCS

In some barrels it does seem that way. The .222 Rem Baikal MH18 I had was fussy like that. Not only did the group alter size but POI upon target................................................. Weird.

377576157.jpg

377576143.jpg

Same day same Point of Aim session only difference COL.

Well done, for what is supposed to be an easy calibre to load it seems fussy on some elements like OAL and neck tension.

Building on what JCS wrote, OAL can also have a dramatic impact on velocity and pressure so it is worth checking for pressure signs if you are shortening rounds (which you're not) and involving a chrono either way.

If you've bumped out by 80 thou you'll will likely have sacrificed velocity if you've held your charge constant, but now you have more room for powder. Now you've got a good working COL you can bump powder up, safely as always - I've found this doesn't affect group size significantly, within reason.

Back