Thread: light hinds

light hinds

Just checking wieghts against previous years for our hind culls.
    Although we are targeting poorer animals, for the same weeks on the same ground this seasons culls are averaging 18kg lighter than the 2009 cull wieghts.
    The hill deer had lost alot of condition by the turn of the year over the last two bad winters but the wet summer last year seems to have done them more harm , going into what has so far been a reasonably mild winter. Surprisingly everything is pregnant even the bags of bones. Has anyone else noticed their deer toiling this winter?

agreed. this weekend I culled just 4 calves, but they were indeed very poor condition, ranged from 30kg to just 15kg and I saw plenty more that were no more than around 20kg. I could see a lot of calves this coming winter that are in much better condition than their older yearling siblings...

They are ok down in this part of the world but i guess they always have an abundance of quality food be it fresh grass or corn etc. My calves are all in the 32-37kg range.

A friend of mine always say hill deer suffer much more in wet miserable conditions than cold dry weather I would not question his opinion as he has stalked/owned a deer forest for 70 years .
    You seem to be confirming his obersavations.

The weights are almost back to normal (having been lighter the last 2 hard winters) in the 2 main places I stalk in Scotland. That said we have shot very few hinds this year, mainly due to pressure from neighbouring grouse & regen interests.

I've seen a large increase in poor condition calves, hummels, spikers, and generally really poor young stags, even yearling stags with just buttons.

I think this coming season will need a very hard-lined cull policy where I stalk, only leaving healthy and promising beasts, with maybe just a couple of trophy's as a 'good work' thanks to myself

Quote Originally Posted by pitiliedon View Post
    Just checking wieghts against previous years for our hind culls.
    Although we are targeting poorer animals, for the same weeks on the same ground this seasons culls are averaging 18kg lighter than the 2009 cull wieghts.
    The hill deer had lost alot of condition by the turn of the year over the last two bad winters but the wet summer last year seems to have done them more harm , going into what has so far been a reasonably mild winter. Surprisingly everything is pregnant even the bags of bones. Has anyone else noticed their deer toiling this winter?

+ 1. Significantly more animals in poor condition on the hills and yes everything appears to be pregnant.