Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSC Level 1

DSC Level 1

So not this weekend but next I will be travelling down to barnoy college and doing my dsc 1. I can't help but being nervous so really looking for any pointers from the guys/girls that have done it? Any tips on things I could do in the week following upto it? I have read the manual had a copy of the questions and answers and am passing the theory with one of the on line providers.so all looks good but can't help feeling something's going to come up and catch me out.

You'll be alright mate. I know a few boys that turned up on the day and passed with only the instruction they received on the course, no build up training or revision. Just soak it all up and enjoy it. Chill out on the shooting test, it's only a target, not your dream Gold medal Roe buck on the last stalk on the last day of the season at last light that's just seen you and is about to run off! When you're doing the written tests, READ THE QUESTION, READ THE QUESTION, READ THE QUESTION! Top tip from the instructor on mine, the infamous Chris Howard.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Thanks digger that's a note added to read the question a few times before jumping in, am down for tw weekend at the college so am sure it'll be a good learning weekend anyway.

just keep reading the manuel and doing the online tests , youll be alright

That's the spirit! There's no trickery in the questions, but sometimes they almost give you the answer by how they word them

Quote Originally Posted by davidm View Post
    Thanks digger that's a note added to read the question a few times before jumping in, am down for tw weekend at the college so am sure it'll be a good learning weekend anyway.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Make sure that you have learnt the safety questions and answers, practice as much dry firing with your rifle as you can to develop comfortable movement free shooting positions, double check tightness of your scope, mounts and barrel and that you are using deer legal ammunition, take your FAC . Look out for the tricky is it a Red or Sika picture in the identity test. (eg white hock gland on Sika). Good luck atb Tim

Read the book, read the book, read the book, do the mock test in the back, do the mock test in the back, and yep, do the mock test in the back. Learn the safety test off by heart as they really drilled me on that, they weanted it exactly how the book said, I actually failed the 1st time (thought id be alright, just had a skim read) but luckily they said I could have a re take the next day in private, so that night I learnt the whole thing until I couldnt read anymore. Took the test and I passed with flying colours. In my opinion the ID test is easy, they should run you through the images before just to brush up on skills. Just learn the seasons, be safe and follow your common sense and you will pass. Hopefully!
    All the best.

P.S, I never did the 4 days, I just paid for the 2 days tests. But I felt the lads who had been there from the start had really bonded, but I made friends quickly as we all knew we where in the same boat.
    Last edited by 12borejimbo; 16-02-2012 at 14:25.

Practice for the shooting test.
    It should be easy but more people fail this than anything else.
    "Buck Fever" perhaps?

Thanks guys all notes taken on board.

David

bring kitkats, and don't forget a packed lunch on sat