DSC Level 1

davidm

So not this weekend but next I will be travelling down to barnoy college and doing my dsc 1. I can't help but being nervous so really looking for any pointers from the guys/girls that have done it? Any tips on things I could do in the week following upto it? I have read the manual had a copy of the questions and answers and am passing the theory with one of the on line providers.so all looks good but can't help feeling something's going to come up and catch me out.

You'll be alright mate. I know a few boys that turned up on the day and passed with only the instruction they received on the course, no build up training or revision. Just soak it all up and enjoy it. Chill out on the shooting test, it's only a target, not your dream Gold medal Roe buck on the last stalk on the last day of the season at last light that's just seen you and is about to run off!;) When you're doing the written tests, READ THE QUESTION, READ THE QUESTION, READ THE QUESTION! Top tip from the instructor on mine, the infamous Chris Howard.

Thanks digger that's a note added to read the question a few times before jumping in, am down for tw weekend at the college so am sure it'll be a good learning weekend anyway.

That's the spirit! There's no trickery in the questions, but sometimes they almost give you the answer by how they word them

Thanks digger that's a note added to read the question a few times before jumping in, am down for tw weekend at the college so am sure it'll be a good learning weekend anyway.

Make sure that you have learnt the safety questions and answers, practice as much dry firing with your rifle as you can to develop comfortable movement free shooting positions, double check tightness of your scope, mounts and barrel and that you are using deer legal ammunition, take your FAC . Look out for the tricky is it a Red or Sika picture in the identity test. (eg white hock gland on Sika). Good luck atb Tim

Read the book, read the book, read the book, do the mock test in the back, do the mock test in the back, and yep, do the mock test in the back. Learn the safety test off by heart as they really drilled me on that, they weanted it exactly how the book said, I actually failed the 1st time (thought id be alright, just had a skim read) but luckily they said I could have a re take the next day in private, so that night I learnt the whole thing until I couldnt read anymore. Took the test and I passed with flying colours. In my opinion the ID test is easy, they should run you through the images before just to brush up on skills. Just learn the seasons, be safe and follow your common sense and you will pass. Hopefully!
All the best. :D

P.S, I never did the 4 days, I just paid for the 2 days tests. But I felt the lads who had been there from the start had really bonded, but I made friends quickly as we all knew we where in the same boat.

Last edited:
Practice for the shooting test.
It should be easy but more people fail this than anything else.
"Buck Fever" perhaps?

So not this weekend but next I will be travelling down to barnoy college and doing my dsc 1. I can't help but being nervous so really looking for any pointers from the guys/girls that have done it? Any tips on things I could do in the week following upto it? I have read the manual had a copy of the questions and answers and am passing the theory with one of the on line providers.so all looks good but can't help feeling something's going to come up and catch me out.

Pay special attention to the deer identification slides.

Good luck your test, just go and enjoy yourself. Take your time answering the questions, if you have a close up picture of a deer to ID, check the size of foliage etc to get scale. if the brambles in the background look big, then its a small deer. The bods at Barony have a great reputation, I'm sure they will look after you, especially if you take plenty of kitkats!!!!

Thanks guys, should be ok spend the rest of today just going over any bits am not sure about. DSC trainer if I fail am blaming your online service :) only joking its been a great help when I have been working away from home been able to login to it anywhere.

You'll be fine if you read the book and listen to what's said and not act as if you know it all. My 14 year old passed it but he lives around deer talk all the time but I went through the book questions with to see if he could answer them.

As the guys say you will be fine think about your answers, take your time during the shooting test not forgetting your correct breathing, and concentrate on the safety test this is a 100% pass requirment.

Thanks guys, should be ok spend the rest of today just going over any bits am not sure about. DSC trainer if I fail am blaming your online service :) only joking its been a great help when I have been working away from home been able to login to it anywhere.

David- Chill out and enjoy the time. I did mine last year and was a bit uptight (hate exams) but once I was there and went through the papers it was a scoosh. Safety test should be easy as there are no trick questions and all is common sense on what is safe to shoot and what is not. Learn the questions and answers about high seats, hill stalking, crossing obstructions etc and you will sail it.

On the slides- pay attention to the indicators between fallow and sika i.e hock white gland, tail length and brow frown, muntjac and cwd generally easy even not having stalked or seen them before.

So go enjoy it and we'll hear from you once you've passed.

ATB

Andy

Only one person from twelve failed the multiple choice section when I sat mine. Three or four failed the shooting part (it was a windy day) and nobody failed the safety.
The ones who failed the shooting test were beginners with little or no previous shooting experience. The one who failed the multiple choice part admitted he had done very litle study. Everyone who could shoot and had taken the time to learn passed easily.
Good luck.

Please note that the training manual gives the dates of the close season but all the questions ask for the open season dates, so do a bit of conversion and learn the open seasons. But relax and enjoy the experience!

Good luck!

Back