Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22-250

22-250

Planning a 22-250 build, purpose would be foxes out to 300 yards.

What would people go for an ultra fast 50-55 grain weight bullet, or something like the 75 grain a-max? Obviously appropriate barrel twist would be chosen for the relevant weight.

Regards

HL

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Planning a 22-250 build, purpose would be foxes out to 300 yards.

What would people go for an ultra fast 50-55 grain weight bullet, or something like the 75 grain a-max? Obviously appropriate barrel twist would be chosen for the relevant weight.

Regards

HL
    My tuppence worth...

I have owned a few 22-250's over the years and if I was wanting to shoot 75grn bullets I would buy a 6mm. They will push that weight of bullet quicker than any 22-250. Some may suggest, ' ah, but the BC of the 75grn in the 22-250 is blah, blah...' You will not notice one jot of a difference in any BC advantage in practicle terms out to the distances you mention.

My mate and I have tried various bullet weight in them, but all between 40grn and 55grn.

Every time we settle on 50-55.

A 55grn SP or HP Sierra Gameking will do everything you ask of it in this calibre including a cracking job on the legal for calibre deer species.

Funnily enough I have just picked up a cracking wee Sako 591 HB from a seller on the site, stuck a S&B 8x56 on it, had the barrel re-threaded and crowned by Dennis Groom, and the trigger taken down to 1.5lbs. Primarily for foxes but it will also be used on a good few roe.

I will be using 55grn SP Sierra Gamekings...

Hi a friend of mine has his m590 in 22/250 for sale. Its got a 24 inch - 1 - 9 twist - S/S Douglas custom Match barrel. and is throated for the 75 grain a max bullets. Accuracy is stunning. It also shoot the 55 grain bullet if you wish to shoot them

The action was reblacked when he had it built. He has kept the mcmillan stock off it for his other rifle though.
    So will come with the walnut ambi varmint continental stock.

If you look on youtube under sir slots alot you will see the rifle in action to deadly affect on vermin and fox.
    Last edited by jay 22; 15-02-2012 at 11:02.

If you are shooting out to 300 yards you don't need to fire the really heavy stuff, I think you would be better off with something in the 50-55gr area which will shoot much faster and flatter. I would recomend either the Sierra 55gr BK or the Hornady 53gr V-Max. You will need at least a 12 twist barrel to fire the 53gr.

In my custom 22-250, which I mostly use with an NV scope, I shoot the 53gr V-Max pushed by 38.8 grains of H380 gives 3870 fps over the chrono with great accuracy. Zero at 250 yards and it's pretty much point and shoot on a fox out to 300 yards.

50 to 55g is ideal. I actually made up a very fast 40g Nosler BT VArmint laod that made dropped foxes on the spot out to 200 yards. This was in a 14 twist barrel though so obviously depends on the twist you get. Some will say its too light but considering im now shooting a 204 with 32g Noslers flying at 3800 ft/sec and haev not shot 6 foxes with it none of which got up again adn the furthest was 270 yards...Then a 40g flying at 4200 ft/sec is going to do just as well.

I have been thinking of this also. I have a 14 twist sako 75 in 22/250. I have a McMillan A3/5 stock due here for it next week. It is very accurate as is, but I am contemplating rebarreling in a light varmint contour in 8 twist. I would like to try the 70gr VLD's and 75gr A-Max's. I would use it for foxes, but I would like to try steel plate type stuff out to 500 or 600 yards. I have never shot at that distance before.

I agree a 6mm might be better for this sort of application, but the cops here will not license a 6mm for foxes. End of.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    I have been thinking of this also. I have a 14 twist sako 75 in 22/250. I have a McMillan A3/5 stock due here for it next week. It is very accurate as is, but I am contemplating rebarreling in a light varmint contour in 8 twist. I would like to try the 70gr VLD's and 75gr A-Max's. I would use it for foxes, but I would like to try steel plate type stuff out to 500 or 600 yards. I have never shot at that distance before.

I agree a 6mm might be better for this sort of application, but the cops here will not license a 6mm for foxes. End of.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes.
    What about the 22 Middlestead then for you guys in Ireland? The first link is off a forum and the second actually has some load info. It would be the way to go to keep up velocities on the heavier .22CF rounds. I know a guy who shoots one for roe with bullets in this weight and he loves his. As you say though, given the choice over here I would probably just opt for a 6mm.

http://www.varminter.com/forums/topi...3-middlestead/

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpa...?CaliberID=100

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    What about the 22 Middlestead then for you guys in Ireland? The first link is off a forum and the second actually has some load info. It would be the way to go to keep up velocities on the heavier .22CF rounds. I know a guy who shoots one for roe with bullets in this weight and he loves his. As you say though, given the choice over here I would probably just opt for a 6mm.

http://www.varminter.com/forums/topi...3-middlestead/

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpa...?CaliberID=100
    Jamross, what I am really tempted by is a 22x47 Lapua, great brass, small primers etc. Capacity on the Middlestead is just too big, it must be a real barrel burner.

It should not be a problem to get a variation for the x47 L wildcat, but a striaght rebarrelling of the existing 22/250 is the route of least resistance. If I do stick with the 22/250 case, I will probably AI it just for fun. Lapua has 22/250 brass now in any case.
    Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Jamross, what I am really tempted by is a 22x47 Lapua, great brass, small primers etc. Capacity on the Middlestead is just too big, it must be a real barrel burner.

It should not be a problem to get a variation for the x47 L wildcat, but a striaght rebarrelling of the existing 22/250 is the route of least resistance. If I do stick with the 22/250 case, I will probably AI it just for fun. Lapua has 22/250 brass now in any case.
    The 22x47Lapua went through my mind as well, just thought the Middlestead may have kept the velocities up a bit with the heavier bullets.

I think you will be right though about barrel wear! Mind, even if only 2000 rounds, barrel life is 10-20 years minimum for most folk.

Danpd on here is a lover of the 47Lapua case and was giving a convincing arguement for a mate of mine in 6x47Lapua for a re-barreling job he may do for him. May be worth dropping him a wee PM asking for opinion...

(apologies to the OP for going off topic a wee bit)

There is not a huge amount of data for 22/250 with heavier bullets. My research would suggest something like 3350-3400fps is likely for a 70gr VLD from either the 47L or the 22/250 AI. The Middlestead will run at around 3650. 3350 is more than enough for my purposes.

I probably would fire 300-400 rounds a year for this rifle, so 4 or 5 years barrel life I would expect.

The 6x47L would be perfect if I could get it licensed.
    Brian.