Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blaser R93 - TAKE DOWN ULRICH

And now a take down rifle that won't mysteriously come apart for no reason

Neil.

Tis a shame that the Russian makers don't fit better wood to those rifles they could be so much better of course the importers of Baikal probably sett eh price point so low which is why we get suck poor wood and fit. I hated the shape and look so altered mine:-

Took the butt down to match and fit the action instead of being proud of it. Cleaned up the shield and made it more distinct. Fluted the nose of the comb and base of pistol grip again to make it more distinct. Got rid of the horrible, to my eyes at least fore end shape and made it more traditional. The wood was pure white birch so it was stained. That commercial walnut stain was horrid so I used potassium permangemate crystals then BLO instead.

Not to every ones taste of coure:-

That rubber pad had to go so acquired an original Baikal butt plate and fitted that.

Also lightened the trigger pull and cleaned up the creep. Always wondered why they can make the shotguns with a crisp pull but the rifles well .................................. need improving in the trigger department. Oh yes this one is in 222 Remington.

Total cost was around 135 yes I brought it used with the rubber Beretta pad fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Tis a shame that the Russian makers don't fit better wood to those rifles
    They do, just not for us, Canada, New Zealand and Austrailier get a choice of Walnut, Beeech or Willow.
    The fit as you say is horrid, mine also suffers from having had the stock badly split and repaired, I have adjusted the wood to metal fit, but
    nothing much is going to make the wood look any good, so a coat of texturised paint will cover the damage for now.
    I have a lead on a Walnut stock and foreend, lets hope it pans out.
    Trigger on mine after a little TLC is not bad, just on 2lb and very little creep.
    I only bought is as it was cheap, as in 150 with rings, and a big box of ammo and new brass, if it hits a 2 inch circle at 170 yards or so I will be happy.

Neil.

I feel you will be OK in your aims and hopes while mine was not a tack driver it would achieve what your goal is with factory Sako SP ammunition. I have always wondered why they are sold as Baikals when in fact mine was made by Izhevsk as denoted by the arrow in a shield factory mark found on the barrel lump. In fact both the model 18 shotguns in 20 Bore and 12 bore I own also have the same factory marks. Cannot recall if the Model 27 O/U bears the same factory marking or not and cannot check of course.

I know that Remington offered these in the US as the Spartan which had a Walnut stock and I also think that a plastic stock set was available. The only reason I sold mine was that the .243 Midland 2100 was again offered to me and I needed to open up a slot to acquire it. I thought the "Baikal" MH18 would have made an excellent travel rifle for the smaller deer and Roe in Scotland. In fact I only brought it as I thought the deal had all fallen trough but 2 years later I actually acquired the Midland.

go and start your own thread about your crappy rifles please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    go and start your own thread about your crappy rifles please!!!
    Kindly go and boil ones head.

I expect the MH18 will still be in use when your designer bit of fluff is knackered .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Kindly go and boil ones head.

I expect the MH18 will still be in use when your designer bit of fluff is knackered .
    please explain "in use" - i thought your rifles weren't allowed out!!

My standard R93 already takes down enough for me. I have a Blaser case for it but after seeing what the baggage handlers managed to do to a steel fishing rod tube I had a friend built me a flight case. If anyone asks I tell them I'm carrying bagpipes in it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    please explain "in use" - i thought your rifles weren't allowed out!!
    Oh dear ....................... oh dear. Did I hit to close to a nerve?

The "Baikal MH18" is working gun designed for use in harsh conditions by Soviet peasants. The Model 18 has been in production for many decades hence my use of the term "Soviet" as it was introduced way before the wall came down. In use it exactly what is means but as you seem to need it explaining then I'll try:-

Baikal model 18's will still be seeing service and use in the hunting fields long after your "Prada" fluff rifle is worn out and knackered. Just like people pay loads of money for the Prada name you paid well over the odds for the Blaser name. Only time will tell if the Blaser R93 will last as well as other more conventional rifles.

yes I tried Blaser a I have said before, yes they shot OK, but they are simply not worth the price tag .................................. not to me anyway.

Another point is that we have all read and heard about Blaser's blowing up but in all honesty I have yet to hear of someone blowing up a Model 18 be it named Spartan by Remington or Baikal as here in the UK.

You appear to need to justify what you laid out on your Blaser a point I have noticed with more than one Blaser owner. Perhaps really in you mind you realise you paid too much and are supressing the thought?