Optics: Am I deluding myself..?

scrumbag

As above. Looking at scopes on the Uttings website and I noticed what looks like a good Docter scope and I have to say I am tempted.

I've been doing a bit of price comparison for a general stalking scope (won't be fox bashing at long ranges..) and this is where I get to:

ModelPricePrice differentialPercentage
Docter Optics Classic Illuminated 2.5-10x48 IR Rifle Scope82900.00%
Swarovski Z6i 2-12x50 IR Rifle Scope1780951114.72%
Zeiss Classic Diavari 2.5-10x50T* IR Rifle Scope118535642.94%
Kahles Helia CBX 2.5-10x50 IR Rifle Scope134952062.73%
Schmidt and Bender Classic Variable Power 2.5-10x56 IR Rifle Scope129947056.69%

Now, at least a 40% plus hike in price up to a Zeiss (which last time I looked wasn't in stock). Will I notice the difference in scopes? I know they say buy the best you can afford but that kind of differential makes me wince...

ATB,

Stingey Scrumbag...

I own three of the brands listed: S&B, Kahles, and Zeiss. My big game rifles happen to have Weaver, Leupold, and Burris. I like the nice glass, but most of my hunting rifles have Weaver, Leupold, and Burris scopes and I don't feel the lack. I'm really fussy about handling qualities. I picked up a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X about the time I finished my latest rifle. I had a Leupold 3-9 sitting idle and frankly, the Leupold made for a better handling, better looking rifle so I went with it despite the fact that the Conquest is a 'better' scope.~Muir

If you have only owned and used inferior scopes such as Leupold and the like then you won't notice as you don't miss what you haven't had. A Doctor is a class above crappy American scopes.

If however you have used quality glass such as Swaro, S&B or Nightforce then you will notice the difference.

Thanks chaps, but I suppose my question is, will I notice at least 40% difference and will it be likely to hinder low light hunting?

ATB,

Scrummy

I've been researching this too and as with binoculars, think that buying a used top-quality scope in good condition is probably the best value for money. Reading this forum will show you how there are lots of stalkers out there who are constantly upgrading to the newer model and financing it partly with the older one. I've been following Kahles and Swarovski scopes on eBay like the ones you describe, but without the illuminated reticle, and they're all going for £700-900. Also worth looking at the classifieds here.

These optics are made to last 30 years, so if they've been looked after, they'll be fine.

go for the doctor i like them as much as s&b and ziess i have some doctor binos witch are grate under moon light

Some scope makes suit some peoples eyes better than others. So it's best if you can get to look through them to compare. However I do feel that scope prices are slight silly. Have a look at the dreaded Macleods site and see what they have to offer.

Mind you your pocket will likely take a hit if you do.

Its a hard one and i love my swarovski but i only shoot out to max 150 do i need such expencive glass may be maybe not. D O are quality but leupold are certainly good enough for what we want.

I have genuinely tried to love Minox scopes, given that I own two pairs of Minox binoculars (HGs and BVs) but I can't - the glass is fantastic but have found that the fussy eye-relief and need for perfect head positioning is a complete pain.

The Euro scope are a noticeable step up from the Yank and Asian stuff, they also hold their value well when you go to trade in or sell in the classifieds here.

However, between the various Euro scopes there is very little in it. It is hard to justify nearly a grand extra for the Swaro Z6i over the Doctor.

I personally would probably not bother with the Z6i. If you go to MacLeod, he has the same 2-12x50 in a non IR Z6 for under £1000. That is were I would put my cash just now, it is an excellent general purpose scope.

I can't comment on the Zeiss as no one seems to sell them here, I don't think I have ever looked through a Zeiss scope.

Keep your eyes open for a decent 2nd hand scope. I own a S&B 3-12x50 IR, and it is very nice. Ive got a Meopta too, which again as Garyb said, is a very nice scope, butif I look through inferior optics, I can tell the difference easily. I have looked through the new Z6i, and personally, I dont think it is worth £2k!!!
Doctor are good, if I wanted s general allround stalking scope, S&B 8x56!!!

defo the zeiss. though i would look at the victory 3x12x56 they have them with some money off.

I have had a Doctor 3-12X50 scope, very nice glass almost as good as the best but I didn't like the reticle, it was FFP and was just too big and chunky at max mag.

My money would go on the Zeiss or the Swaro, but have to agree the prices are getting silly especially for the illuminated ones.

I have Leupold, Nighteforce and Weaver and can say that they are no where near as good in low light as the Swarovski's, Zeiss or Schmidt & Bender.
You really do get what you pay for! Spend the money, you'll be glad you did.

i cant talk of the other scopes but i baught a burris fullfield11 and have been impressed its great in low light and i like the ballistic plex ret for accurate shooting ,everyone who has tried it has commented how good it is.i will be putting two more on my 300win and other 270. i also like minox bins atb wayne

Back