Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: fewer and fewer deer

Angry fewer and fewer deer

Just come in from yet another blank outing and not a single deer seen. This is becoming a regular occurrence, I've never had so many blanks as I've had in the last year.
    The problem is being caused yet again by the forestry companies, mainly FCS, culling far to many deer through the use of their rangers but also through the use of THREE contractors who combined will account for about TWO THOUSAND deer each year!!
    This mass slaughter combined with increasing numbers of amature stalkers knocking over everything that moves means that deer are becoming a very rare sight and local estates are having to dramatically reduce there culls resulting in a dramatic loss of income and jobs.
    Something needs to change!

Well i dont see how it can the presure is on the FC to bring numbers down even more and the venison industry wants wild venison demand outstripping supply.

It has also been an unusual year in as much as the weather has been very mild (at least down here it has until recently). This has altered the feeding patterns of the deer, especially the Fallow.

Late September there were 200 Fallow on an unploughed field on the neighbouring ground I help manage. Since then hardly a deer, although the last 2 weeks has seen them moving around a lot more. However I do agree that far to many deer are being culled in the highlands, especially Reds. They seem to be chased from pillar to post by many organisations these days, and there appears to be more and more night licences being issued.

where abouts in argyll, you do know the fc are useing contractors in the lochgilphead area

It could quite easily change, all the FC have to do is change their attitude to deer control. When most of the beats around here were established everywhere was moving with deer and they still managed to grow timber and that's with hardly a bit if deer fence in sight! It's pretty sad that when you see a deer now its something to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by mannlicher View Post
    where abouts in argyll, you do know the fc are useing contractors in the lochgilphead area
    Not far from lochgilphead. Aye that's the guys I'm talking about, they are shooting hell out of the deer.

I'm certainly seeing a drop in the population and the deer have turned almost totally nocturnal.

Tikka they are getting well paid but i would be asking if the night licence is time limited as a last resort and when it is likely to stop.

[UQUOTE=sikamalc;327069]It has also been an unusual year in as much as the weather has been very mild (at least down here it has until recently). This has altered the feeding patterns of the deer, especially the Fallow.

Late September there were 200 Fallow on an unploughed field on the neighbouring ground I help manage. Since then hardly a deer, although the last 2 weeks has seen them moving around a lot more. However I do agree that far to many deer are being culled in the highlands, especially Reds. They seem to be chased from pillar to post by many organisations these days, and there appears to be more and more night licences being issued.[/QUOTE]

There weather could of been something to do with it but we have had our usual weather the last year. You're exactly right there malc, the pressure on the deer is unreal, every where they go be it day or night they are getting shot or disturbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    I'm certainly seeing a drop in the population and the deer have turned almost totally nocturnal.
    exactly the problem here and as soon as the light goes on them when you are lamping foxes they are off!