Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: .30 Cal Magnums for UK Deer

  1. #1

    .30 Cal Magnums for UK Deer

    I have owned or tried most of the common calibers for Deer and fancy something new with some poke to it.

    I just wondered how many people out there use .30 cal magnums out there and how they have performed on our larger deer species?
    I have been toying with the idea of .300 Win Mag but a .300 Rem Ultra Mag has also come up lately as well. I like the idea of being able to visit friends in the states and using it on big game over there as well.


    Ben

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    I have owned or tried most of the common calibers for Deer and fancy something new with some poke to it.

    I just wondered how many people out there use .30 cal magnums out there and how they have performed on our larger deer species?
    I have been toying with the idea of .300 Win Mag but a .300 Rem Ultra Mag has also come up lately as well. I like the idea of being able to visit friends in the states and using it on big game over there as well.


    Ben
    ive just stepped up to the 300 win mag , mainly i wanted a traveling rifle without a moderator fit to just about take anything in the world .

    i do also plan to use it on deer in the uk , just as my tickle my fancy rifle if i fancy a change from my .270.

    i didnt get much hastle from norfolk about it really , but i did have to proove good reason (which i did !) and my ticket came back fully open and with any lawful quary , so happy days

  3. #3
    I have had a couple of 300 win mags and one was completely unuseable due to the recoil and one was an absolute pleasure to shoot and they do a great job. I had the itch to buy the ultra mag but never scratched it, i do know a bloke who has one and he has had to do a lot of work to make it shootable as when he first got it he broke his nose when his thumb smacked him in the face during recoil! Call me boring but that really does'nt sound like fun! Every time you would walk in the door with blood pi**ing from your face the wife would say "oh you got one then dear".

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by RPA 6MM BR View Post
    I have had a couple of 300 win mags and one was completely unuseable due to the recoil and one was an absolute pleasure to shoot and they do a great job. I had the itch to buy the ultra mag but never scratched it, i do know a bloke who has one and he has had to do a lot of work to make it shootable as when he first got it he broke his nose when his thumb smacked him in the face during recoil! Call me boring but that really does'nt sound like fun! Every time you would walk in the door with blood pi**ing from your face the wife would say "oh you got one then dear".
    Heh Heh! The 300 RUM I have seen is more of a heavy target rifle than sporting. This would help a little with recoil I think. What makes did you have? What do you think made the better one more user friendly?

  5. #5
    i have had both calibers and there is better calibres for the uk but the ultra mag does get boring from 600-1000 yards (paper targets and ballons).

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    i have had both calibers and there is better calibres for the uk but the ultra mag does get boring from 600-1000 yards (paper targets and ballons).
    What do you mean when you say it gets boring?

  7. #7
    I used my .300wsm last week again on hinds and roe. I have 4 rifles of deer calibre i can use and i'm just as happy using the .300wsm as any of the rest of my rifles. I love it. Less recoil than the .300wm and a shorter action. I dont notice the recoil when i'm on beasts. I have a Browning A-Bolt synthetic/stainless with Jet z compact. There is plenty of RFD's doin the ammo now as well and easy to homeload.

  8. #8
    very very accurate.

  9. #9
    It was years ago and the first was a wooden stocked Mauser Deluxe it was a nice looking rifle but jesus it was like waking up with a land mine under your face! The second was a Steyr Pro Hunter Tactical heavy barrel which was a nice enough rifle and very nice to shoot (although i really do not like Steyr rifles if i am honest) i think the extra weight and the synthetic stock made it. A little while ago i had a custom 30" barrelled 7mm rem mag (very heavy) but what a machine. There is a good choice of very high BC bullets in the 7mm range and it would shoot 2" groups at 600 yards regularly whilst messing around with my friend on his farm with him and his RPA 6.5-284. The 7mm would get my vote as its very flat shooting and very pleasant to shoot.

  10. #10
    I had a Remi 700 .300 win mag and it was a pleasure to shoot without a moderator. Used Federal 180grain partitions in it and shot Roe to Sika with it. Great gun which was sold to fund another rifle.

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale .30 cal bullets and bits
    By Fabnosh in forum Firearms
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 18:36
  2. For Sale JetZ .30 Cal Brand New
    By nielaj in forum Firearms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-12-2010, 16:35
  3. For Sale T8 30 cal For Sale
    By pigglet in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2010, 08:14
  4. Wanted ASE S5 Mod in .30 cal
    By NickW in forum Firearms
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-04-2010, 10:18
  5. 30 cal choice
    By ejg in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-02-2009, 19:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •