Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I shot both of them and more

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available

I shot both of them and more

21 dirty f*****G carp shot with my trusty 22 krico in the last fortnight.

Catching em on fly is a lot more interesting mate

I take it they are an invasive species there... maybe you need some snakehead to take care of them!

Not sure what to make of this, personally as a carp angler I think you need.............. actually forum rules stop me saying what I want to say.
    As a fishery manager I can see where they can become a pest and need thinning out, but this is not the right way to do it.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Not sure what to make of this, personally as a carp angler I think you need.............. actually forum rules stop me saying what I want to say. As a fishery manager I can see where they can become a pest and need thinning out, but this is not the right way to do it. Neil.
    There are many ways to kill things but as long as it is humane, dead is dead so job done.
    As a lad I have had pike in this way with .410 slugs when they were 'basking' in the withy bed drains on the Somerset levels, that was back in the fifties when food was food.

one man's meat is another's poison, it's a different country on a different continent and is classed as an invasive species/vermin responsible for wrecking the eco system bit like the first white men there too
    a barony original

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    T food was food.
    Agreed, but there is no indication these carp are getting eaten.
    Shooting into water with any rifle let alone a. 22lr is not a particularly safe option is it, so the poor old carp may yet get justice.
    Lets face it, they only got there because man put them there, so perhaps man should just put up with it.

Neil.

Not sure what to make of this, personally as a carp angler I think you need.............. actually forum rules stop me saying what I want to say.
    As a fishery manager I can see where they can become a pest and need thinning out, but this is not the right way to do it.

They are probably held in the same regard as grey squirrels and rats here.
    Not to mention mink!!!!!

If it is like that, well dead is dead isn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post

Neil.
    come on mate , different countrys different cultures and problems , look at the trouble they have with rabbits , foxes , cane toads , cats , camels the list goes on , what would you do about mink ? and i get the odd call from carp fisheries about otters how do you feel about those big boys

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    come on mate , different countrys different cultures and problems , look at the trouble they have with rabbits , foxes , cane toads , cats , camels the list goes on , what would you do about mink ? and i get the odd call from carp fisheries about otters how do you feel about those big boys
    Thank you trouble for a sensible post,the replies above basically show an ignorance of carp numbers in Australia to the detriment of the other fish species and to the waterways themselves.
    There are tens of MILLIONS of Euro Carp in Australia and are not wanted anywhere and from the safety aspect raised above, head shooting carp into a waterway from a six foot bank (steep angle) allows for a clean entry....besides the farm boundary is 2 kilometres away!And I`m the only b****d here.

On carp they are in the Murray/Darling system and we are talking thousands and thousands of waterways that have been inundated with these rats.
    You coarse fishers that get annoyed about this shooting stuff should come to Australia and just see how many of the B*****S there are.

They were actually found in a Tasmanian lake 10 odd years ago,one of Tassy`s premier wild brown trout lakes mind you. It was so important that the lake was poisoned and drained to kill every bloody one of them.As the trout fishery is worth millions in tourism whereas carp are not worth a cracker. They are as bad as cane toads and rabbits in our environment.
    Occasionally there are Carp Buster tournaments held with prized etc...the fish are weighed in at tons at the end of the day with the collective creels gathered,yes TONS!

Rabbits? I have gone out and shot a 100 and left them on the hill in an arvo back a few years ago,yes true as, they, when in big numbers are considered as rats to many farmers trying to make a quid off the land.I have shot them for dough too,but sometimes its just a vermin destruction job. They get poisoned,gassed/fumigated,even blown up using gas and igniting it.

There is a bit of info here

Carp: a case study