Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poachers!

Poachers!

Having just gone out after some poachers who fortunately in a way fled before i got there, I was just wondering what should i have actually done if caught them red handed.? I had visions of dialling 999 and making a fool of myself making a citizens arrest while the police dont turn up! what is the correct protocol to follow in this kind of incident? Ive never been in this position before.

Thanks

Watch from a safe distance and call the police. They may well be armed, and aren't likely to "come quietly" especially if you are heavily outnumbered. Take car registration numbers if possible, and photo's. Whatever you do don't go out "tooled up". It's a sure way of losing your FAC, sadly no police force conditions FAC's for poachers, and a charge of "threatening with a firearm" would be enough to ensure you are never allowed to own one again. If you are threatened by them, try and record it (mobile phones usually have a sound recording function) without them knowing.

Avoid confrontation at all costs. There are likely to be a few of them, and they will certainly be armed in one way or another, it's not worth the beating.

You should have rang 999 first, You have got to be so carefull, like you say if you had of found them what would you/ could you do ? Either way there would be firearms/dogs/knives present. If you had seen then the best thing you could of done is to get the vehicle reg number, That way you could of given that to the police and they may even pull them over a few miles down the road and who knows what they would find on doing a vehicle/body search.

You beat me Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    Having just gone out after some poachers who fortunately in a way fled before i got there, I was just wondering what should i have actually done if caught them red handed.? I had visions of dialling 999 and making a fool of myself making a citizens arrest while the police dont turn up! what is the correct protocol to follow in this kind of incident? Ive never been in this position before.

Thanks
    When you say poaching, what exactly was it they were doing or supposed to have done?

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Watch from a safe distance and call the police. They may well be armed, and aren't likely to "come quietly" especially if you are heavily outnumbered. Take car registration numbers if possible, and photo's. Whatever you do don't go out "tooled up". It's a sure way of losing your FAC, sadly no police force conditions FAC's for poachers, and a charge of "threatening with a firearm" would be enough to ensure you are never allowed to own one again. If you are threatened by them, try and record it (mobile phones usually have a sound recording function) without them knowing.

Avoid confrontation at all costs. There are likely to be a few of them, and they will certainly be armed in one way or another, it's not worth the beating.
    Matt +1 covered all the bases
    It's accuracy that kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheruk View Post
    Matt +1 covered all the bases
    Except for the bit about your own corroboration.

Most of the evidence gathered would be useless, as if there are more than one of them and they deny the accusations, I doubt if your word alone would stand for much. Unless of course you get actual video footage of them caught in the act and they can be identified facially from that footage.

I am keen to hear what they were actually doing...

I was sat in the lounge, it was about 8.30 and basically thought i heard a shot/crack out in our back fields. sure enough i saw a red lamp, good 3 fields away, went out the door, heard another shot, then got my Dad and we went out on the mule. Unarmed! I actually made sure i lamped around a lot hoping they would be gone before i got there, as like I said, I partly didnt know what to do when or if i came face to face with them!

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    When you say poaching, what exactly was it they were doing or supposed to have done?

I think they were after rabbits, all the sheep were huddled, sounded like a crack of a .17. Not a centrefire. There arent any deer down that way so I guess rabbits.

That's different.

Phone police, report "gunshots heard" and they would be there in minutes. Don't EVER try and deal with armed poachers yourself.

jamross, yes, corroboration is missing, but rather that than a baseball bat around the head.

If you report gunshots, then they will respond. Give them the car reg number and they can stop it, finding firearms and possibly shot game/rabbits on board would make for a pretty good case.

OK. they must have gone on foot from somewher because there are no roads near by, those particular fields are quite isolated. So i wouldnt of been able to get a number plate. I suppose i could of gone for a drive around to see if a car was parked up by a gate in the local area.