Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: variation to shoot deer with a .222 open ticket

variation to shoot deer with a .222 open ticket

Hi, I have an open ticket and own a .22 hornet and a .222 for long range fox /vermin. Do I have to put in a variation for deer to be added to my ticket or just shoot deer as vermin?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye185 View Post
    Hi, I have an open ticket and own a .22 hornet and a .222 for long range fox /vermin. Do I have to put in a variation for deer to be added to my ticket or just shoot deer as vermin?

Deer ain't vermin !!!!!!
    You need to request that they be added to you licence.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex100 View Post

Deer ain't vermin !!!!!!
    You need to request that they be added to you licence.
    +1 on that,get your paperwork in lad.

Cheers lads, do I need to prove that I have pemission to shoot deer prior to submitting my paperwork.

Cheers lads, do I need to prove that I have pemission to shoot deer prior to submitting my paperwork.
    Yes mate you do or bookings to go stalking would suffice.

Technically I think perhaps not. I think that as you already have good reason to possess the rifle, the police don't really have any business preventing your lawful use of it by pointless overzealous use of 'discretionary conditions'.

The way many FLDs seem to work, it is likely that some kind of proof will make the matter easier, though. It is debatable whether it is good for FAC-holders simply to go along with the FLDs in this matter: but expediency often seems to win over principle.

Hi hawkeye
    My sister lives in Buckley where are the nearest muntjac to you in Bangor i went to school in Tywyn and lots of my mates are farmers and it would be nice for deer(muntjac) to be spreading that far
    Geordie
    Last edited by geordieh; 16-02-2012 at 00:06.

No mention of what Deer !
    You do realise the centre fire .22s can only be used on the smaller species ? with Scotland being an exception.

If you have "good reason" established, then what other conditions do you have on your rifles? If you have AOLQ then there's no need to ask them, you are already covered for the deer that you can legally shoot with your rifles under the deer act.

In theory, unless they specifically state that other quarry is prohibited, there is nothing stopping you using your rifle for these species anyway. I've not heard of anyone being prosecuted under a CC condition for shooting a species that wasn't named, and my belief is that in English law, if it is not specifically forbidden then it is legal. Unless they are very unusual your CC conditions will not specifically forbid you to shoot other quarry. I've never seen an FAC with a condition along the lines of "The rifle and ammunition shall not be used to shoot foxes" or anything like that.

Of course you might be taking a risk, I have AOLQ (and deer as "good reason" quarry) so I don't have the problem.

Deer are not classed as vermin and should not be treated as. If you intend to shoot Muntjac & CWD with a .22 centerfire you will need the condition written on to your FAC. If you put in for this condition to be added, prepare to back your request up with a 'good reason' and evidence to support it eg permission/lease agreement from landowner/estate or proof of stalking bookings with a provider.

Regards,

M