Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: What sounds are you using

  1. #1

    What sounds are you using

    Hi lads, just wondering what sounds you are using/working at present, with a digital caller. Managed to call in a manky dog fox on a vixen on heat call.

  2. #2
    Hi Neil,

    Around here the foxes arent calling much at all. teh last 3 outings (and 3 foxes we have had) have been called in with Field Mouse distress and Young Rabbit distress. Im sure there are still a couple of ugly ones that ahevnt tapped off yet so the calls may still work. I haev called them in with the Vixen adn dog calls well out of the mating season but the distress calls obviously tend to work better.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    Hi Neil,

    Around here the foxes arent calling much at all. teh last 3 outings (and 3 foxes we have had) have been called in with Field Mouse distress and Young Rabbit distress. Im sure there are still a couple of ugly ones that ahevnt tapped off yet so the calls may still work. I haev called them in with the Vixen adn dog calls well out of the mating season but the distress calls obviously tend to work better.
    +1 Not getting them to come to Dog or Vixen calls, only heard an odd one calling. Field Mouse distress and Mouse squeaker bringing them in.

  4. #4
    Many thanks lads.

  5. #5
    As I've said many times before, I think the call you use is far less important than where and how you use it. Of these, getting yourself placed correctly with regard to the wind direction is (in my experience) the main issue.

    Last night, I called in a dog and then a couple of minutes later a vixen, using a screaming bunny call. I have little doubt though that anything which involved similar high-pitched sounds would have worked just as well.

    Having remote control over the caller is a massive bonus, as foxes will often come out of cover within seconds. In the old days when I used a caller without a remote, I often found that one had been and gone before I'd even got back to my sticks...

  6. #6
    I'm using Field Mouse and Young Rabbit distress that Steve recommended to me, if there's a fox in the area it brings it in and holds it, at the moment I'm working on a uni assignment making a 555 timer relay circuit, I'll be using it make a decoy that will work off a foxpro caller remote Aux

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by GarryS View Post
    I'm using Field Mouse and Young Rabbit distress that Steve recommended to me, if there's a fox in the area it brings it in and holds it, at the moment I'm working on a uni assignment making a 555 timer relay circuit, I'll be using it make a decoy that will work off a foxpro caller remote Aux
    Very nice Gary, glad its workign well for you. Like to see some pics of the decoy when you have finished it. The jack in a box from Foxpro is a nice bit of kit but not the cheapest so interested to see your design. I think the manual states the ohm's that you need to work to in order not to damage the unit. Good luck.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    As I've said many times before, I think the call you use is far less important than where and how you use it. Of these, getting yourself placed correctly with regard to the wind direction is (in my experience) the main issue.

    Last night, I called in a dog and then a couple of minutes later a vixen, using a screaming bunny call. I have little doubt though that anything which involved similar high-pitched sounds would have worked just as well.

    Having remote control over the caller is a massive bonus, as foxes will often come out of cover within seconds. In the old days when I used a caller without a remote, I often found that one had been and gone before I'd even got back to my sticks...
    Spot ona s usual Paddy.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    Very nice Gary, glad its workign well for you. Like to see some pics of the decoy when you have finished it. The jack in a box from Foxpro is a nice bit of kit but not the cheapest so interested to see your design. I think the manual states the ohm's that you need to work to in order not to damage the unit. Good luck.
    Hi Steve

    Tested the caller auxiliary output with an oscilloscope and found the caller gives a 5v square wave pulse which is a common input for a 555chip which will protect the caller, after seeing the quality build of the FoxPro I'm sure it would be the same circuit as they use! Cheers

    Garry

  10. #10
    slightly off track, but are any of you lads using rechargeable batteries in your Foxpro units, and if so, what make/model are giving the best results. Found some at Maplins that are supposed to hold a charge for longer when not in use, and are 2100 mAh NiMH.
    Cheers Neil

Similar Threads

  1. sounds like they did the right thing?
    By bobt in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15-02-2011, 20:03
  2. file of digital mp3 sounds for calling foxes
    By david1976 in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 11:25
  3. O.K. done the smells!, now the sounds, A Merlin in any airframe!
    By finnbear270 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 14:30
  4. Sight and Sounds For Sore Eyes & Ears
    By Wingers243 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 14:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •