Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Views on 375 h&h for boar

Views on 375 h&h for boar

Just wondering what others views on 375 H&H for BOAR/DEER(reds) in the UK is and how many have this as i plan on getting one to go to Africa but want to use it here to.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Save it for Africa,you will shoot far more accurately with a far lesser calibre on your UK game imo.

Nothing wrong with 375 they do kick a bit but ok for uk deer i've used mine on Roe, Fallow + Red with little meat damage great knock down power they don't run !

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    Nothing wrong with 375 they do kick a bit but ok for uk deer i've used mine on Roe, Fallow + Red with little meat damage great knock down power they don't run !
    Knock down power is what i need as i havn't got access to the adjacent land and got a mouthfull from one of the neighbours (ANTI) about a wounded boar my brother shot that ran onto his land which he fed (according to him) untill it died next day (very humane). we have large groups of boar (10+) coming onto the ground from the woods around us and need to stop them where they are & head shooting is not allways possible

Well i,ve used my 308 on Boar that did the trick, never used the 375 on Boar yet but like i say what i have shot with it just drops on the spot they dont know whats hit them so you should be ok with 375

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    Well i,ve used my 308 on Boar that did the trick, never used the 375 on Boar yet but like i say what i have shot with it just drops on the spot they dont know whats hit them so you should be ok with 375
    Would you consider a 9.3x62? Probably easier to feed and maybe a little easier to sell to your FEO. Also very capable round.

ATB,

Scrummy

235 Speer hotcor through the shoulder will do everything you require from a .375 on boar no matter how big and menacing it looks
    But if you are not conviced then go 285's
    It is the most versatile calibre I know of and a great choice

375 is probably the most versatile on this planet. Its suitable for everything including elephants, VERY easy to get ammo for ( they sell it everywhere in africa), Recoil is about 20% less than a 404 and its a beautiful cartridge with alot of nostalgic hubris.

It all boils down to this: Can you shoot well with it? everything else is secondary. I would feel much more safe hunting bears with a .275 Rigby that I knew and could shoot well, than a 375 that I could only handle Ok because the recoil was too much.

My advice to you: borrow a 375 and try it, see if it is for you. If you dont mind the recoil, its a fantastic caliber.

My brother dropped a 300+ lb boar on the spot with a .375 ruger with 300 gr hornady. It wasn't needed, but it was effective. Have you thought about .45-70, .444 marlin, or .450 marlin? They all pack a punch and come in quick handling rifles with slick actions. They trajectories are more rainbow like, but are very capable of 200 yd shots. .375 would be more versatile if you planned on hunting africa though.

Recoil from a 375 is nothing to worry about, same old story ref recoil, get a rifle that fits, and man up .
    A lot of bovine manure talked about recoil is done by those who have never shot one.
    It does get me wound up a bit, as there isn`t a rifle built that can`t be shot, ok some can be a bit uncomfortable,usual due to rifle fit, rifle weight and people who can`t shoot.
    No offence to anyone who falls into those catagories.
    "oh, and another thing, don`t buy a decent calibre rifle and down load it "to make it more pleasant/easy to shoot"if you want to do that,but a 308 !