Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk Reds ??????

Norfolk Reds ??????

Spent last weekend with a good friend, near Thetford, We'd booked four stalks,with the hope of bagging a stag each, and maybe a Munty, if the chance arose. There was also another stalker who'd traveled down for the weekend,after Muntjack. Conditions on the ground weren't great, 3 or 4 inches of snow,which was well frozen, So stalking was interesting to say the least! We all saw some deer, not a great amount, I also saw two nice Roe bucks, typical ! The other guy shot a small Munty doe Friday evening, I shot another on Saturday evening, from a highseat. My mate never got a shot off! No Reds were seen all weeekend ! Maybe I should have enquired on here beforehand, but is there much of a Red population there, as we were promised plenty when we booked.
    All in all. an expensive weekend for us both, between fees, fuel and accommodation and only a Munty doe to show for it!
    Kev.

I saw 10 stags and a similar amount of hinds 2 weeks ago and there were 2 Stags nonchalantly crossing the track in front of us yesterday.

Thetford was shot out years ago.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch View Post
    Thetford was shot out years ago.
    You wish! Monster Reds up there!

Quote Originally Posted by kevhumps View Post
    Spent last weekend with a good friend, near Thetford, We'd booked four stalks,with the hope of bagging a stag each, and maybe a Munty, if the chance arose. There was also another stalker who'd traveled down for the weekend,after Muntjack. Conditions on the ground weren't great, 3 or 4 inches of snow,which was well frozen, So stalking was interesting to say the least! We all saw some deer, not a great amount, I also saw two nice Roe bucks, typical ! The other guy shot a small Munty doe Friday evening, I shot another on Saturday evening, from a highseat. My mate never got a shot off! No Reds were seen all weeekend ! Maybe I should have enquired on here beforehand, but is there much of a Red population there, as we were promised plenty when we booked.
    All in all. an expensive weekend for us both, between fees, fuel and accommodation and only a Munty doe to show for it!
    Kev.
    Who did you go with?

There is a large and well established herd of reds near/around the thetford area.

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    Who did you go with?
    Hockham Deer Management!

Kev there are a lot of Reds in the area however they move around as they please sometimes moving huge distances in a single day. They certainly as far north as Swaffham as far west as Stradsett in the east they are beyond Euston and below Elvedon in the south.

Somedays they will be around every corner but other times you dont see one for weeks I guess that why its called stalking and not shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
    Kev there are a lot of Reds in the area however they move around as they please sometimes moving huge distances in a single day. They certainly as far north as Swaffham as far west as Stradsett in the east they are beyond Euston and below Elvedon in the south.

Somedays they will be around every corner but other times you dont see one for weeks I guess that why its called stalking and not shooting.
    +1

If you want to go stalking Red deer in that part of the world then you have to go to Euston Estate.

In my opinion it's one of the best in the country.

ATB
    Moses