Thread: CIC / Shooting Times Red + Non Native Review

CIC / Shooting Times Red + Non Native Review

Anyone else notice the lack of heads of Red Sika & Fallow making the grade this year.

I couldn't believe only 3 Sika 3 Scottish Reds and ahand full of Fallow

I would be interested to know if there were less heads offered up for measurement or the same amount but with fewer making the grade. If this is a result of the increased levels of culling particularly indiscriminate culling that is becoming more and more widespread it does not bode well for the future of good quality trophy beasts.

In a similar vane there seemed to be a huge number of CWD medal heads in the review. I do hope that this little deer is not being exploited and it's numbers suffering.

In fact we measured many more heads than appeared in the Shooting Times lists (just over 850 in 2011) and most were of medal quality, but ST only have room to publish Gold medal heads for each of the species.

I do personally believe that there is more indiscriminate culling going on and you may have noted for the last three deer reviews that we are asking those who manage and shoot CWD to be particularly careful. There is a danger with CWD that we will be in the same situation as the South Africans, where immature Cape Buffalo were being overshot as trophies, which in turn undermined the size of the breeding population.

TDW

But a CWD is at his best trophy potential when he is 3-4 but best breeding after that.( So the best get shot before they pass on there genes) All will normally make gold if left to grow long enough no real trophy then. What the money men in the deer world want is a good clean long tooth's with not chips or brakes they will not get this from older beasts that have bread because they fight and damage there teeth. So maybe the problem should be addressed by the cic and find a different way of measurement. Same with roe i believe the points should be aimed at old animals not the young and middle age beauties we have in our fields.

sorry lads to much wine lol

can somebody copy and paste the list so we can all have look..

regards
    Now

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    But a CWD is at his best trophy potential when he is 3-4 but best breeding after that.( So the best get shot before they pass on there genes) All will normally make gold if left to grow long enough no real trophy then. What the money men in the deer world want is a good clean long tooth's with not chips or brakes they will not get this from older beasts that have bread because they fight and damage there teeth. So maybe the problem should be addressed by the cic and find a different way of measurement. Same with roe i believe the points should be aimed at old animals not the young and middle age beauties we have in our fields.

sorry lads to much wine lol

I'm probably still half asleep but... If basically all CWD will make gold if they are left long enough then where is the problem? Surely the loss of genes if you shoot a young trophy animal is therefor pretty irrelevant?

Cheers!

The question is... What percentage of Fallow, Red & Sika actually get measured. Like the other 3 species. I would go as far as suggesting that less than 20% of heads get measured especially the ones shot by foreign clients. The reasons being:

Roe: Normally done in net weight grams - you also have to wait 90 days clients wants his trophy back before then.
    CWD: As suggested most good bucks shot will make gold so most don't bother.
    Muntjac: Most charge per CM now and if people do charge by the Medal then stalkers often measure themselves.
    Sika: The stalker I know measures them himself and comes to agreement with client. Although not that many Sika Medals are shot.
    Red: Very few medal red deer shot, the ones that are commercially taken, mostly by foreigners who pay big money and are interested more in KG weight not Medal Class.
    Fallow: Again not that many big heads taken and most of the good ones are sold to foreigners.

Just the way I see it.

Alex

CZ There took before they can chip a tooth not because they are past there best no money in a broken canines