Badger's

barry thom

Hi Guy's Here in SW Scotland we are seeing an awful lot of dead badger's on the road's, in the last four week's i have seen six dead between Dumfries and Kirkcudbright, on mian and back roads, on my way to work.
I am wondering if this is the time of year that the young boars are setting of to find thier own teritory's, Do they get turfed out by thier parents when this years young are about to arrive?.

ATB Barry

At this time of year, food is scarce and so they move around a lot more to find it. Ergo, a lot more car collisions. The townies would have us believe that every one of those you see lying at the side of the road has a bullet hole somewhere. Whenever anyone says this to me, I tell them to stop next time they see one and have a look for themselves...

i,ve notice a lot of badger road kill round our way over the last few weeks.(sheffield) stav

If I remember correctly the young are born in Jan, and last years young are kicked out, hence the increase in casualties.

The Badger setts on the ground i shoot are showing signs of a lot of activity , a lot more bedding being turfed out of the setts and the badger runs showing movements over greater areas . backing up previous theorys that young are present and food stuffs are scarce

Better dead than alive i say. We have 2 farmed feilds on the estate where a 50meter square has to be left around the sets and the sets just keep getting bigger so the field where the farmers cant sow ect is getting smaller. The factor has applyed for a license to plough in the field but this can only happen once weve had badger gates down for 2 months and then they have to be inspected. What a load of crap, sooner there of the protected list the better as there are far to many, Well here anyway.
FS

Back