Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety Loading/Unloading

Safety Loading/Unloading

I have been following with interest some of the comments regarding the Fieldsports channel, I noticed that there was a point raised about loading/unloading.
    I for one have always unloaded the rifle pointing vertical,I would rather take the risk of it hitting me on the head than the possibliitiy of a either a richocet or shrapnel from the ground.
    Is this correct or incorrect, is there anything about this in best practise/

regards
    Now

I always reload with the muzzle pointing at the ground, I.e a soft bank.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by news of the world View Post
    I have been following with interest some of the comments regarding the Fieldsports channel, I noticed that there was a point raised about loading/unloading.
    I for one have always unloaded the rifle pointing vertical,I would rather take the risk of it hitting me on the head than the possibliitiy of a either a richocet or shrapnel from the ground.
    Is this correct or incorrect, is there anything about this in best practise/

regards
    Now
    From "Best Practice guidance"

http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk...ms_safety.aspx

"When Handling Firearms
    • Never allow your firearm to be pointed at anyone.
    • Keep the rifle in Stages 1,2 or 3 for as long as possible during the stalk.
    • If actively stalking with a rifle in Stage 4, ensure it is kept pointing at the ground or into the sky at all times.
    • When crawling forward prior to taking the shot with a rifle in Stage 4, ensure the person in front has control of the rifle to avoid the possibility of accidental discharge when crawling.
    • Never rely on a firearms’s safety catch mechanism — it could be faulty or may be accidently knocked “off”. Periodically check safety catch position if the rifle is in Stage 4.
    • Avoid handling firearms while under the influence of alcohol or any drugs.
    • Check that the chamber is empty either visually or with finger tip "
    NB. "Stage 4" = Bolt closed on a chambered round, safety catch on.

I'm like you on this one N.O.W.

I'd rather see one heading for the empty sky than ricocheting around or kicking up shrapnel at my feet or my, or anyone else's, face.

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    I always reload with the muzzle pointing at the ground, I.e a soft bank.
    +1

carry pointing up or down, load pointing down only. you know, you don't have to point it at your feet just because it's pointing downwards!

There are two different scenarios here, I think. Loading and unloading are different to carrying. When loading and unloading, the firearm is 'changing state', thus some might argue has more potential to go off due to things like mechanical failure of the sear to hold back the firing pin/striker whilst closing the bolt, slamming a bolt shut with a potentially protruding/sticking firing pin behind a chambered round and the like. When changing states, I would take the view that it's better to know where a discharged round will STOP in the event of a discharge, so I personally point the barrel at some soft ground. The problem with rounds going up in the air is that you are not in control of where they will come back down to earth, or therefore what or potentially who it may hit.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    carry pointing up or down, load pointing down only. you know, you don't have to point it at your feet just because it's pointing downwards!
    Well, after I saw this guy I wouldn't know where it might ricochet back from. So, the sky it is, for me.

Aiming a gun at a pile of rocks might have that effect.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Aiming a gun at a pile of rocks might have that effect.
    I live in a country with rocks almost everywhere, sometimes in plain sight sometimes a few inches under the surface of the soil. So, I guess aiming a gun at them "might have that effect", too.

Quote Originally Posted by news of the world View Post
    I for one have always unloaded the rifle pointing vertical,

If you`re not quite verticle and you have a discharge someone in the next county might have something to say about it.
    It`s the floor for me.
    Last edited by basil; 17-02-2012 at 20:09.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.