FAC Variation for 6.5 calibre question - what do I request?

force64

I am taking my DSC1 in April and looking at specific calibres for a deer rifle.

Am pretty much decided on 6.5x55 but on further looking research realised that there are other 6.5 calibres.

My question is that when i put in for my variation can I just ask for 6.5 mm or do I have to say 6.5 x 55?

Cheers

Andy

Put in for 6.5. If there is a problem your FLO will correct it when he calls.
I put .17 CF on a renewal and Derbyshire OK'd it.

GL

You will need to be specific with the calibre you apply for. I used the superb 6.5x55 for a number of years and the rifle I purchased was a Tikka T3, great rifle great cartridge. Then I saw a superb Heym 6.5x57 SR21 at Reeves and very reluctantly px'd my Tikka. My variation was specific at 6.5x57 because I need to list this to not only buy the new rifle but also you will see the other authority (not including Deer or Vermin control) is to aquire a (maximum) specific number of rounds to suite your rifle.
You are correct in so far as there are a number of 6.5 variations for example 6.5x55, 6.5x57, 6.5x54, 6.5x68 etc dont forget some are rimmed and some rimless i.e the 6.5x57R

Form 101 says 'calibre' but in practice it's 'cartridge'.

Your FLD will have to clarify exactly what you want. It'll save them time, and possible irritation if you have your mind made up before you make the entry.

You already know what the alternative calibres are, so if you're thinking .260 rather than the more common 6.5x55 IMO it's best to get your thoughts together first.

Others will give different advice, but they're not the person waiting cap-in-hand. You are.

Either put 6.5, or .260, or even 6.5/.260 - check what will be the path of least resistance with the FEO

The LAW does just stipulate Caliber, not chambering: stick with the letter of the law....it's the law!!

Depends how quickly you want the variation!

Either put 6.5, or .260, or even 6.5/.260 - check what will be the path of least resistance with the FEO

The LAW does just stipulate Caliber, not chambering: stick with the letter of the law....it's the law!!

Thanks.

I'll have a chat with my FEO and see what he says. My firearms authority is Surrey and they are pretty quick.

Andy

I tried 6.5/.260 with good old Lancs, they wouldn't have it. Ended up going for a 6.5x55 in the end, having had to specify a 'cartridge'.

hh

Thanks.

I'll have a chat with my FEO and see what he says. My firearms authority is Surrey and they are pretty quick.

Andy

My Surrey FAC just had 6.5mm on the ammunition as I had at the time FOUR 6.5mm rifles chambered for three different cartridges. Don't know how they are now as it's been nearly 8 years since I left.

Indeed you're right, but now there's a nasty computer system called FLMS now, and years of entrenched practice within FLD's. A lot of FEO's 'don't do detail' but they soon learn the ropes from the admin. staff who do.

To print the +1 version of your FAC they need to enter a 'cartridge' in the Part I and II - Authority to Acquire. The descriptor for this comes from a standard lookup table built from the Cartridges on Page 77 - Good Reason of the Home Office Guidance. They select the right one (most of the entries are below) from a drop down menu. Anything 'non-standard' such as a wildcat won't be on the menu. It then has to be input manually. So instantly there's a problem. Questions have to be asked and guidance sought. It becomes a task beyond the wits of the average chimpanzee. I'm not referring to the FLD staff here, but the absolute standardisation and rigour which is enforced on 43 FLD's by a computer system designed for common use. Getting round the rules needs somebody in admin with the know-how, and the inclination...... now why should they for a start?

You can stand on your high horse. You can insist on your right in law to choose any cartridge of 6.5mm calibre, but in the end what you get is the cartridge selected for printing on your FAC. Also, RFD's now are so used to seeing a specific entry like '7.62 x 51/.308 ' that if something like '.30' appears the first thing they'll do is to contact Firearms Licensing to find out what to do. If that occurs at a weekend then you're stuffed.

.22 RF
.17 Remington
.218 Bee
.22 Hornet2
.22-.250
.220 Swift
.222 Remington
5.56mm/.223
6mm PPC
6mm/.244
.25-06
6.5mm x 55/.256
.257 Weatherby
7mm/.275
.30-06
7.62mm x 51/.308
9.3mm Mauser
.444 Marlin

Actually I never had a problem with it. I also brought 30-06 ammo using the 7,62mm allocation due to an oversight and Surrey missing off the 30.06. The dealer queried it with me when i asked for the box of ammo so I merely pointed out on the side were is said 7.62x63mm alongside the 30.06 and one it went.

Oh yes I forgot when they were being funny over having too many 6.5mm's one was changed to .256. In the collection is also some Kynoch ammunition which says .256 Mannlicher on the box.

This process is simple and not as complicated as some are making out.

If you want a 6.5x55 you simply apply for authority to acquire a rifle, bolt action, 6.5mm

If you want a 7mm Rem Mag you simply apply for authority to acquire a rifle, bolt action, 7mm

It is as simple as that. End of.

The law states calibre not cartridge designation.

My question is that when i put in for my variation can I just ask for 6.5 mm or do I have to say 6.5 x 55?

Andy

So it's as clear as mud. The form does say 'Calibre' but the law is interpreted by your FLD.

If you decide to enter a generic description, let us know what happens.:lol:

I am taking my DSC1 in April and looking at specific calibres for a deer rifle.

Am pretty much decided on 6.5x55 but on further looking research realised that there are other 6.5 calibres.

Cheers

Andy

I've just put in for a grant of a fac and I just put down 6.5x55 for deer and fox and he had no problem in granting it put in for .223 .17hmr and fac air and he had no problem with any of them good luck mate

I was trying to decide between the 6.5 x 47 Lapua and the 6.5 x 55 Swede.
After a few conversations I started looking at the .260 rem or the 6.5 x 284.

I called my FLO, who was always very helpful and as much a mentor in my early years as anything else, and was told that for the 6.5 slot on my FAC I needed to put down 6.5/.264 (caliber not chamber), for both the mod and the rifle, I then go out and pick the rifle I want.

Back