New moderator

Brough

Evening folks, not long had my new Sako 85 stainless ,synthetic,not the finnlite. it came screwcut 14x1 and am now looking for a moderator .
leaning towards the wildcat 250 which only adds 100mm to the length of the barrel and the remainder sits back over . I,m looking at an over barrel type as trying to keep overall length down , I purchased the rifle on recommendations from others and would like some recommendations on mods from people ,if you have one on a sako 75/85 even better, looking at paying 250ish . Cheers Brough.

A-Tec, A-Tec, A-Tec wieghs less than a Wildcat and is Quieter. I have one on my 270, it is a pussy cat to shoot. I have T8 plus a couple of ones I have made myself, the latest one has a Titanium baffle stack. The A-Tec is the best factory one out there in my opinion.

Best rgds

Tahr

Brough

i have a Sako 85 fluted HB varmint stainless in 243 (very nice gun) i have a T8 on it at and find this mod very good.

i use to own a stealth mod but two blew off another gun and were c**p (never buy one of these) .

i have not tried any other mods on a centerfire so can only give you my veiws on these two, hope it helps .......neil

I have the wildcat 250 on my .22/250 and I have no problems with it at all. It makes a ding if i bang against a fence or tree but so would any other and a neoprene cover sorts it out.

I built my own moderators for a while and now also invested in an A-tec. Overall the A-tec is possibly the best one out there. Mine is on a 22-250 and 308.

edi

Brough

Had a 6.5x55 tika t3 with a .30 t8 on it and thought it was a great combo, I now have a 6.5x55 85 with a .25 ase utra fitted and it is much quieter than tika/t8 set-up.Accuracy good with 22mm and 33mm groups at 200yards after first session. Ase was £275 but you might get cheaper if you push. Jackson rifles don't reccommend .25 size for 6.5x55 rifles but manufactures say it's fine(I got an e-mail direct from them) but .25 gives best noise reduction.

I would "respectaby" suggest that you do not rush into the .25 option on the 6.5 x 55.

I have converesd with the manufacturer in person and they point me in the way of the .30. Yes, the .25 "will". Ouch...

You think every crown is at 90 degrees to the bore exit?

Stan

Hi Brough,
6mths back I picked up my sako 75 syn stainless in .243 calibre. I was advised to fit a jet z mod - big mistake. I have no doubt it is an excellent mod but it made the gun 'front heavy' and out of balance. I changed it for a reflex T4 @ £200 which has a proven history - much better. It extends the barrel length by about 65mm and makes the whole outfit more compact.

Smullery

No worries.... I mentioned the manufacturer v's importer bit to make folk aware of the situation.I had already ordered a 0.3 size when ASE Utra manufacturers e-mailed me to say .25 model ok. They knew I was to fit it to a factory threaded sako 85 6.5x55se.

I swapped at the last minute and I have to say I'm very happy with the model I chose

regards

Have got a JK Arms (is that a wildcat) on my .300 Win mag 85 Finnlight and this shoots like a kitten, also a T8 on my 6.5 75 Finnlight which also shoots well but I would say my JK Arms mod is a much better mod than the T8 by far.

JT

I have got a Sako 75 in .270 with a PES T12 on it. Makes it a whole lot more civilized to shoot, and the weight is not an issue as I use sticks most of the time

Thanks for all the replies guys,
I ended up with a wildcat predator 8 . Nicely finished ,comes apart for cleaning and first impressions are it works very well ,I am unable to compare with anything as this is my first mod, This will not be a permanent fixture , as the mod upsets the balance of the rifle ,and becomes a bit cumbersome for woodland stalking imo ,but will be used when a little bit of discretion is needed . I had a few rounds down the range to see how the mod changed point of impact and was well pleased to find the point of impact change was negligable, as I was expecting quite a change,Finished the day in a seat and a roe doe @170m.dropped on the spot ,gralloched and all sorted just as we lost the light .
Regards Brough

Evening folks, not long had my new Sako 85 stainless ,synthetic,not the finnlite. it came screwcut 14x1 and am now looking for a moderator .
leaning towards the wildcat 250 which only adds 100mm to the length of the barrel and the remainder sits back over . I,m looking at an over barrel type as trying to keep overall length down , I purchased the rifle on recommendations from others and would like some recommendations on mods from people ,if you have one on a sako 75/85 even better, looking at paying 250ish . Cheers Brough.

I have exactly the same gun and here's what it looks like with an MAE T12 - it balances very well and is super-quiet!:

d1_3.jpg

Thanks for all the replies guys,
I ended up with a wildcat predator 8 . Nicely finished ,comes apart for cleaning and first impressions are it works very well ,I am unable to compare with anything as this is my first mod, This will not be a permanent fixture , as the mod upsets the balance of the rifle ,and becomes a bit cumbersome for woodland stalking imo ,but will be used when a little bit of discretion is needed . I had a few rounds down the range to see how the mod changed point of impact and was well pleased to find the point of impact change was negligable, as I was expecting quite a change,Finished the day in a seat and a roe doe @170m.dropped on the spot ,gralloched and all sorted just as we lost the light .
Regards Brough

Aren't Roe doe's out of season???

a tec dont know about the over barrel ones but the cmm4 is without doubt the best ive bought and trust me i have dumped a few quid on diffrent ones weight is nothing on the front get your self to a shop like FA andersons they will let you have a play

Back