Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox hunting views?

Fox hunting views?

Obviously fox hunting has been banned for a while now and I'm just wondering what way people on here view it? I am a chicken farmer and have shot a fair few foxes, I tend only to shoot them when their causing a problem and as we only have 40 acres I take a couple a year. I know as well as anyone that they can sometimes be little bast***s but I have to say I would not like to go out to our fields and never see a fox as they've all been shot. My question is do we think hunting and killing foxes with hounds is really a humane death, I know most people including me do not like to see an animal hit with a poor shot and go through any kind of suffering until it eventually dies. Would hunting with hounds also be acceptable for small deer species as well? I'm not really against fox hunting and have attended many hunts in the past, it's a great tradition. Although I have to say these days the more I think about it I'm just not sure whether I agree with the end result or not. I know that when I look to some of the past farming practices i do find some of them a little cruel and would not employ these management systems today and I fear I may just be starting to think of fox hunting in the same way. Thoughts??
    Last edited by james19306; 18-02-2012 at 14:55.

Quote Originally Posted by james19306 View Post
    Obviously fox hunting has been banned for a while now and I'm just wondering what way people on here view it? I am a chicken farmer and have shot a fair few foxes, I tend only to shoot them when their causing a problem and as we only have 40 acres I take a couple a year. I know as well as anyone that they can sometimes be little bast***s but I have to say I would not like to go out to our fields and never see a fox as they've all been shot. My question is do we think hunting and killing foxes with hounds is really a humane death, I know most people including me do not like to see an animal hit with a poor shot and go through any kind of suffering until it eventually dies. Would hunting with hounds also be acceptable for small deer species as well? I'm not really against fox hunting and have attended many hunts in the past, it's a great tradition. Although I have to say these days the more I think about it I'm just not sure whether I agree with the end result or not. I know that when I look to some of the past farming practices i do find some of them a little cruel and would not employ these management systems today and I fear I may just be starting to think of fox hunting in the same way. Thoughts??
    I don't think that you can directly compare hunting with shooting as it is such a different technique with the same objective of managing wild animal populations. Traditional hunting does tend to be more selective as the weaker animals are the ones that get caught and nothing escapes injured. As to participating in hunting or shooting surely in a free and democratic society this should be a matter of personal choice and not legislation. Politicians who have sought to ban hunting in the past include both Oliver Cromwell and Adolf Hitler, neither of whom were renowned for being tolerant of differing opinions.

But lets not forget that controlling fox numbers is only the justification of the hunt... my sister is a member of the Cheshire drag (ahhem) hunt, and she doesn't give a monkey's scrotum about fox control.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    But lets not forget that controlling fox numbers is only the justification of the hunt... my sister is a member of the Cheshire drag (ahhem) hunt, and she doesn't give a monkey's scrotum about fox control.
    Does she run the hunt or is she a follower?

If folk want to hunt a pack of hounds to kill a fox then I think they should be able to do it. Although the end to the fox may appear brutal it is far more natural in its section and dispatch of the fox than shooting.

I think its good for people to be able to hold their own opinion as well.

Personally I am less comfortable for a deer to be hunted with hounds. This is only because I feel I can do a better job of controlling a deer population myself with a rifle. I admit there is no logic to it.

Quote Originally Posted by james19306 View Post
    Obviously fox hunting has been banned for a while now
    Really?

She rides with the hunt, I'm not anti hunt.... if they want to spend an afternoon riding across country in pursuit of a fox and see it killed by a pack of hounds that's fine by me. What I object to is the pretence that it's in the name of conservation.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    She rides with the hunt, I'm not anti hunt.... if they want to spend an afternoon riding across country in pursuit of a fox and see it killed by a pack of hounds that's fine by me. What I object to is the pretence that it's in the name of conservation.
    Under traditional hunting it is the duty of the Masters, Huntsman and Whippers-in to attend to the wildlife control element of a days hunting. Followers such as your sister can then relax and enjoy a social occasion combined with viewing hounds working and possibly also riding across country that may not otherwise have public access. Post ban the role of the Hunt officials has changed to laying a drag to simulate a traditional hunt with the aim of maintaining the infrastructure of traditional hunting until the ban is overturned. Many people cannot tell the difference! atb Tim

So SI you think all deer control is in the best interest of the deer don't think so .Me i am in full support of Foxhunting as a sport and for the case of natural selection.

Not at all, but you can't eat fox. What I do believe though is that shooting is the most humane way to control numbers