Help help help!!!!

User00003

I was loading a round in my .243 sako 75 hunter, and it went about 90% up the tube then stuck:-| I 'know' it was clean and the previous round came out fired and clean, nothing stuck in the barrel. I then tried to 'reverse' the bolt, but it didn't want to come back, the bolt handle is only turned about 15 degrees and not even enough to start locking,,,the d@mn thing is just stuck...for NO reason and I can't see anything that should be keeping it there!!

any ideas???

I'd prefer to avoid the gunsmith, as I need it urgently...also, what the heck can they do I can't from where the bolt is???

help help help!!

Are you saying you loaded a round and it jammed shut without fireing, and you cant unload or the bullet went 90% up the barrel when fired then you couldn't unload? deerwarden

Sounds like if it were me i would be sh---ng myself , its got to be safer to lift the bolt and pull it towards you rather than force the round into the chamber

Best of luck with it whichever you choose

I'm still not clear what is going on here.

Did you load the rifle and fire a round to find the bullet lodged up the barrel?

Or did you try to chamber a round to find that the bolt wouldn't close and now the round is jammed half in and half out of the chamber?

If the latter I might try a little WD40 or similar down the barrel, let it soak for a while and then drop a cleaning rod down the barrel to see if the thump from the drop might move things. You'd have to be careful not to just push the bullet back into the cartridge though and I certainly would not ever attempt to fire the round once it is removed.

tap it out from the muzzle end with a cleaning rod... I had a tight case in my .223 that got stuck in the chamber, the ejector claw let go of it when I tried to pull it back so I asked around if anyone had a cleaning rod I could borrow.
A few taps and it was out, but the bullet was seated a bit too far afterwards... cause - the case was fireformed to my old rifle which was 5.56x45

Bear in mind I'm not a gunsmith:

I've just has a look at my Sako 75, and was wondering, if the design is the same, whether you can see back of the extractor-claw, and the spring-loaded pin that holds it into rim of the case.

If you can it might be possible, by pressing the pin in with a suitable instrument, to take the pressure off the extractor-claw and by angling the rifle correctly let gravity take over and drop it out of the groove. The the bolt should open, even if the case remains in place. Then you can more confidently tap the round out by whatever means...

I guess you'd want to keep the thing pointing in a safe direction throughout the operation, just in case...

Or did you try to chamber a round to find that the bolt wouldn't close and now the round is jammed half in and half out of the chamber?

If the latter I might try a little WD40 or similar down the barrel, let it soak for a while and then drop a cleaning rod down the barrel to see if the thump from the drop might move things. You'd have to be careful not to just push the bullet back into the cartridge though and I certainly would not ever attempt to fire the round once it is removed.

that's the one, but about 90%, not halfway

Remove action from stock and fix firmy in a vice (use soft jaws). Using a mallet and a wooden drift, knock the bolt handle up and back.

Stay away from the muzzle and watch where you point it!

I did hear of one guy who fed a brass rod down the barrel and smacked it once it touched the bullet tip, thereby knocking it back but that sounds like a death wish to me!

It sounds like a job for a hide faced or dead blow mallet to propel the bolt rearwards and extract the round keeping your fingers crossed that the extractor holds on to the rim.

I have seen this a few times when a case has be fireformed in one rifle and then neck sized and attempted to be loaded into another. I did see this once when a 308 was mistakenly loaded in a 243 and in was factory ammo too. Good job it isn't a remmy as the bolt handle normally shears off before the round is extracted.

question, if I try to tap it out from the muzzle end, obviously not staring into the barrel or standing behind it...is there any chance it could go off and send my cleaning rod into the atmosphere!

Sounds like the case is oversized jamming the action, if it was me and I desperately wanted to use the rifle shortly, I would ensure the berrel is pointed where if the rifle fired it has a safe backdrop and tap open the bolt with a rubber mallet, cover the action with a loose bag of sorts in case the ejector pulls out so you catch everything. This happened to me, and the rifle(Sako) opened, but the ejector device came apart, just replased the spring etc and all was well. p.s. I'm not saying do it just wot I did as I had a client the next day useing my rifle. deerwarden.

I,ve seen this before!!it was caused by a tiny abnormality in the case.That time it was down to not being checked over thoroughly before being reloaded.The case is wedged into the chamber by the slight blip in the case and the only way out is to doas has been suggested.Try and release the extractor claw fron the rim somehow,this will free the bolt.Then you need to persuade the round out of the chamber from the muzzle with a cleaning rod,protect the crown and be careful not to put too much pressure on the rod.

Back