Thread: Safe Back Stop ?

Safe Back Stop ?

When considering a safe back stop how far behind / away from the quarry would you consider a bank for example to be safe backstop.

The way I see it
    There is no safe back stop , only sensible shooting
    By putting any decent backstop in the background helps eliminate the hidden dangers that you don't see when pulling the trigger

I can only assume no one wants to commit thierself by the lack of replies

just seen your thread and my immediate thought was how long is a piece of string?! Ideally, i would like every deer i shoot to be stood next to a 15' high earth wall less than 10m behind the deer and shooting down towards it. but thats unlikely. The way i think of it is that you need to guarantee that the bullet is contained in the area you can see and have assessed for 'risk' ie the bullet will stop in an area free of people or ricochet hazards.

There's no answer to that question.... every shot is different.

ask yourself before every shot "where is this bullet going to end up when it exits or if I miss?"

If the answer is "into that bank" or "into the ground" etc, then it's safe.

If the answer is "I'm not sure" or "into those trees" then don't shoot.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I'll bite...as long as you can see its a safe backstop it's fine..for example...I took a red deer calf off a mountainside in Argyll last weekend, the backstop was the peat hags about 1 mile behind,,,but there was only peat hags in between, so it was ok. on the other hand, if shooting on farmers fields, etc. I'd probably like to have a visible backstop within 100yds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I'll bite...
    That's because your half cut
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox