John MacNab

Beowulf

In 1925, John Buchan published his second most famous novel, "John MacNab"; three high-flying men - a barrister, a cabinet minister and a banker - are suffering from boredom. They concoct a plan to cure it. They inform three Scottish estates that they will poach two stags and a salmon in a given time. They sign collectively as 'John McNab' and await the responses. This novel is a light interlude within the "Leithen Stories" series - an evocative look at the hunting, shooting and fishing lifestyle in Highland Scotland.
So why is it that the 'MacNab Challenge' is considered to be a Stag, a Salmon and a Grouse all taken on a single day? Can anyone tell me please.

Beowulf said:
In 1925, John Buchan published his second most famous novel, "John MacNab"; three high-flying men - a barrister, a cabinet minister and a banker - are suffering from boredom. They concoct a plan to cure it. They inform three Scottish estates that they will poach two stags and a salmon in a given time. They sign collectively as 'John McNab' and await the responses. This novel is a light interlude within the "Leithen Stories" series - an evocative look at the hunting, shooting and fishing lifestyle in Highland Scotland.
So why is it that the 'MacNab Challenge' is considered to be a Stag, a Salmon and a Grouse all taken on a single day? Can anyone tell me please.

I guess its due to the three species are recognised as being the quintessential game species of a traditional Scottish sporting estate.

I know a few who have tried and failed usually at the salmon, and I know only one who's succeeded.

Shoot your stag first, shoot your grouse on the way back in and then fish the rest of the day and evening. Doesn't get a lot better.

Back