Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good start to new ground.

A good start to new ground.

I obtained a new block of land over the christmas period but only got to look around it over the weekend, I had 2 Muntjac bucks and a Fallow pricket on Sunday evening, this Munty was the first shot of the 3 that evening, a very satifying 220 yard shot, with the 6.5 I might add. I had another Munty buck come out 20 feet to the right of my high seat as well but it was too difficult to turn and shoot so I watched him for a while as he winded me then realised there was trouble afoot and buggered off! I had been down on the Saturday morning to see what was about and had seen 20 Fallow bucks from prickets to good trophies so things look really quite promising!

Well done, that looks a reasonable Munty buck, if the quality is that good there must be one or two stonkers running about.

well done he does look a good one,me and fester saw a clonker trotting along the grass verge just where the m25 joins the m40.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    He is a nice boy...as sikamalc says, there's bound to be some real crackers there.

Re: the munty by the M25/M40, I was driving up the A428 near Cambridge a month or so ago and I saw the mother (or should that be the father) of all munty bucks on the motorway embankment. It would have made Gold without a doubt. It was that good that even my wife said "Cor, he's big".

willie_gunn

As far as I'm aware this patch has never been shot, I saw 4 Bucks and heard another and the Fallow are pretty good there too. I'll be trying to get away from work in good time one night this week to see whats about, may take my pea shooter too just in case!

Let us know how you get on!

willie_gunn

Managed to get away in good time lastnight, trimmed some branches from around the highseat as they caused me a problem last time!
    At around 16:15 a large fallow buck presented itself from about 150 yards to my left followed by an even better one, looking at Richard Priors review in ST last night I reckon one of these bucks could well go silver, anyway 2 more bucks appeared after the first pair, both were only spikers of which the first had a clerly visible limp in its back right leg so I elected to take this one. I let him come clear of some branches and as he put his head down to take another mouthful of winter barley shoot him in the engine room. He did not drop to the shot, he stood for a moment took a few steps backwards and went down.
    I found the limp to have been caused by what appeared to be an old bullet wound just above the joint in his back left leg.
    Dressed out he weighed 58lb

Having seen these big bucks what do I do leave them to get bigger, if so how long will it take for them to reach gold status?
    I also don't know how much land is shot around me but they don't seem as cagey as most fallow as they were out feeding an hour before dark!

Nice write-up - any chance you could post a photo of the damaged leg when you larder the deer? It would be interesting to see. Also, where was the shot? I ask as I shot a fallow over Christmas and the shot was slightly further back than I'd planned - took out the lungs/liver, rather than heart/lungs but - and had a similar reaction, almost a 'trembling' after the shot, a couple of steps and then down.

Re: the medal heads, "do I leave them to get bigger" is the $64,000 question, and the answers are likely to be almost as contentious as when you ask the "is my calibre better than your calibre" question

Accepting the presumption that there are a combination of factors that affect antler development - not just time - if you could be certain they wouldn't be shot when wandering off your land, I'd leave them.

The challenge is when you have neighbours who also shoot deer, as it will depend upon their management plans. I had permission on a farm near me where I know that, on the neighbouring land, they had a 'shoot on sight' policy for fallow for reasons of crop damage. Knowing that, I was less fussy about managing the fallow when they came onto my permission. Likewise, if you have a lot of roads near your land then you always run the risk that your medal prospect might become another RTA. Then there are poachers

I can see two schools of thought emerging:
    1. "shoot them when you see them", because the chances are that if you don't someone else will, or you'll never get another opportunity.
    2. "shoot them if it corresponds with your management plan", more 'ethical' perhaps, but you run the risk of never seeing them again.

Another factor will be your personal attitude to trophies. I'm not that bothered, as I've got a couple of nice heads on the wall at home. I had a medal roe buck in my sights last season that I could have shot in accordance with the management plan of the land I stalk over, but didn't. I left him for clients who I know would appreciate the trophy more. For some stalkers, and their clients, the trophy is important and that's fine as well. Doesn't make me wrong and them right or vice versa - each to their own.

willie_gunn

Thanks for the reply Willie;

I here where you're coming from as I've faced the same problem before hence the reason for asking, I had a new bit of ground a couple of years back and there was a really nice big melanistic buck that I had had in my sights several times but figured I'd leave him for breeding and he was also an absolute joy to watch and listen to during the rut, his posturing around the does really used to amuse me and I would find myself watching him for ages. Then he went missing. I met a guy who shoots a lot of dear in my area the following year and asked if he had seen the big old boy, he had, hanging up in our local game dealers!
    I've not got a specific remit to my stalking over this ground I can do as I like, the farm manager just does not want so many dear about and so long as I give him a bit of cash he's happy.
    I must try and take some photos of the amount of slot marks in the barley over there, it looks as if 1000 sheep have been driven over the field!
    Also I buried the gralloch on Sunday evening and when I went back yesterday the fallow had been poring at the ground and had exposed the paunch, I've not seen this before.
    I am definitly saving one of the big bucks for a guy that comes up from Kent each year to stalk with me and Basil is hopefully lined up for a stalk in November so I'd better hang on to one for him too, would make a great first species shot!

With regard to the shot it was a little far back as he was facing to the right and slightly away so I had to copensate accordingly, the bullet entered just behind the diaphragm and through the lungs missing the heart by a matter of a few mms.

The carcass is at the game dealers as they are short of venison this week because of all the cock shoots.

Regards

JT

JT

Thanks for the reply and no worries about the photos, just curious to have a look-see.

Interesting hearing about the gralloch being uncovered. I've not seen it before, but I'm guessing someone on the forum can tell us why it happens and how unusual it might be.

willie_gunn